Using Open Sights

Northcountryman

God bless those of you that can still use open sights. My old eyes can't focus on rear & front sights while clearly seeing the target, even when wearing my tri-focal glasses.

To those that use a 20mm objective lens scope, aren't you limiting your field of view?

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

God bless those of you that can still use open sights. My old eyes can't focus on rear & front sights while clearly seeing the target, even when wearing my tri-focal glasses.

To those that use a 20mm objective lens scope, aren't you limiting your field of view?

For open sights and my old eyes a ghost ring peep works best for me along with a fine bead fiber optic front, the old eyes don't work as well as they once did but with that combo I can shoot well enough for deer hunting out to 100 yds or so. My main problem is in low light conditions. These days most of my open sight firearms for Deer hunting are my old style sidelock muzzleloaders.

Also the 20 mm objectives on low powered scopes have nothing to do with field of view, they in fact most times have a much larger field of view than high powered scopes with large objectives. They do not let in as much light so they are not as bright in dim conditions but they still let in plenty for legal shooting hours so seeing your target and crosshairs is no problem.

I am with Buckmaster when it comes to scopes for Deer still hunting and in the woods, I will take compact light weight and field of view for quick handling and ease of carrying. And  a low powered scope does not limit your range for most Deer hunting here in NY.

Almost all of my woods Deer hunting firearms have low powered scopes with 20 mm objectives and I have never not been able to take the shot because of it.

Al

2019-05-01_191730.png

2019-12-11_142418.png

2019-11-09_044718.png

2020-06-22_080943.png

2020-08-13_124425.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

A quality scope with a 20mm objective will gather more light than the human eye can use. Bog objectives gathering light is a marketing strategy by inexpensive scope manufacturers.

In my opinion a 1-4 or 5x scope is ideal for eastern hunting. Plenty of zoom to reach out as far as any of us will shoot. I’ve shot a couple around 400yds with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

400yrds with a 4x is pushing it for my old eyes. I need a 12x for that distance :)

On the other hand never shot anything even at the range past 200yrd 

Edited by suburbanfarmer