Maine- Fall Black bear Hunting over Bait?

backstrapbuster

I did it 3 years in a row. Killed 2 and missed 1. I always hunted the first week, less pressured bears, and more of them. My friend was an outfitter, but he passed away. The new owners of the camp seem to do a nice job, but I've not met them. It's the Driftwood lodge in Shin Pond, ME. 207-528-2936

Edited by Skillet

My Dad got one with Stony Brook Outfitters in Maine with dogs. The owner, Bob Parker also offers Bear hunts over bait for a little cheap. Either way is near 100% success rates. Reasonable priced too, last I remember a baited bear hunt was like $1600 for a week, everything included. My Dad also got a Bobcat with this outfitter as well on a separate hunt.

I've done it twice, once in Maine, once in Ontario. I killed a bear both times, but to be honest, it can be a LONNNNGGGG wait on stand if nothing shows up, especially if you book for a week. If I pay to go on a bear hunt again, I will hunt with dogs. Bring a Thermacell and a mosquito net. ;)

The hunt in Ontario was with Lillabelle Lake lodge in Cochrane. I wouldn't recommend the guide we went with in Maine, but his camp was near Baxter Park.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I did two hunts in Ontario for Fall bear over bait. On my first trip I was told the best time is very early morning and evening. "No need to be in the stand from 10am to 3pm". Well the first trip theat is when the bear hit the bait on the first day of the hunt...never to return. I got skunked that trip but scored the following year. It was ok. I did see moose and wolves but I probably wouldn't repeat it again.

A+++ on the thermacell and good head net. The bugs were terrible. Where we went in Ontario it was about 6 hours from Syracuse.

I've done it twice, once in Maine, once in Ontario. I killed a bear both times, but to be honest, it can be a LONNNNGGGG wait on stand if nothing shows up, especially if you book for a week. If I pay to go on a bear hunt again, I will hunt with dogs. Bring a Thermacell and a mosquito net. ;)

The hunt in Ontario was with Lillabelle Lake lodge in Cochrane. I wouldn't recommend the guide we went with in Maine, but his camp was near Baxter Park.

And bring a nice pad for your butt, or it'll be even longer.

I did a hunt over bait last year in Quebec, 6 days from 3 pm to dark . I did not see a bear makes for a long boreing hunt. A friend did a Maine hunt with dogs hunted during daylight hrs. & treed 5-6 bears. He said it was exciting just hearing & seeing the dogs do their thing & treeing the bears. He got one plus many pics. If I were to go again I would go with the dogs. Also take the thermalcell & the head net for sure!! good luck!

I have hunted with Libby Camps many times. They are in the Maine North Woods. Shot 3 bears with them. Great camp on a huge lake with fly out service if you need it. Matt gives you a boat & motor for the week to fish for brookies and landlocked salmon during the day then hunt bears in the evening. Many small streams and ponds within miles of the main lodge. I even saw a chocolate bear, but was too small to take. They did'nt believe me when I told them of the color phase bear, one guide sat the stand the next evening to comfirm for himself. He had'nt heard of anyone ever seeing one in Maine. They pulled the stand the next day so no one would shoot it. They wanted it to breed more. In my opinion, the best place to go.