Region 8 permits

Doc

I hunt letchworth in 8m and i can tell you in over 17 years of hunting the park i have never seen it so bad!!!!!I hear tales of farms with 60 plus permits and of just gut shooting and let them run off.I found 2 this year on the first day of shotgun but they were to far gone to find a wound but the yotes had not found them yet!!!

I hunted Letchworth myself.I was disapointed with what I saw there as well.I see plenty of deer sign and saw many doe mostly in the safety zone by the dam.I know of some guys that saw nothing there as well however a co-worker said there was a lot of shooting at Letchworth opening day .I did have a 4 pt. and two small deer close to me one afternoon there.The general opinion I hear is that the deer numbers in the park are a fraction of what they used to be.

Letchworth has had an AR in place for a few years. I have talked to the guys who work there the AR was put in place not to get older and bigger bucks; it was put in place to reduce the deer herd by changing the focus from any buck to doe’s. They are seeing some bigger bucks in the park.

If you have to be more selective about the buck you have to shoot and you have a DMP in your pocket most guys will shoot the first flat top that walks by; also the best food is outside the park and the deer get hit pretty hard when they leave the park. I only hunt the park during the ML season and I look for standing corn on one of the farms around the park. Then I look for the trail head nearest to the corn and I work my way behind the field and hunt there seems to work. If there no standing corn I look for a field that’s not plowed under.

Personally the AR is the reason I go to Letworth.  I can sit all day and feel good about it knowing that their is a chance at a nice buck.  Also the deer numbers are dropping.  However that might change.  If they continue to allow hunting in the saftey zone  Some off those deer may move out, to the general hunting in the park.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My numbers indicate that 8A was 12100 last year, this year 14600, Increase of + 2500. Also 8G includes a huge amount of prime habitat for deer. Not just Genesee county. It picks up 1/3 of Orleans county and runs west into Erie county. A part of Monroe also. I believe that region is one of the largest deer permit areas in the state

Edited by landtracdeerhunter