Some Recent Additions To My Knife Collection

Splitear

The cold weather has been leaving me with entirely too much time to browse eBay and some of my favorite knife sites, and I’ve been grabbing some good deals. I thought I’d share a few of my most recent additions. 

I really like traditional folders, especially slip joints. Also, being a serial nail biter, I’m extremely interested in one hand and easy open knives. I recently took an interest in learning about one arm razor/jack patterns. The original pattern was designed after the Civil War for soldiers who had an arm/hand amputation and needed a knife they could open with one hand. 

In the photos you’ll see a few of these. The 2nd from the top is a Case Bros. 62005RAZ. I got it for a song on eBay. The seller took some time in shipping, and as an apology told me he was adding a “gift” to my order, which turned out to be the Stag Mini Copperlock at the top. I put a thumb stud on it yesterday so I can open it with one hand, and this thing will now be a steady part of my carry rotation. 

The small razor below the Case is a Boker “One Armed Jack” a nice little knife that will more than likely live in my cabinet. 

The bottom 2 are both Rough Ryders from China. I had all but sworn off Chinese knives, but after getting interested in the one arm knives, I spent the $17 for the red Razor Trapper that you see here. I’ll tell you what, for 17 bucks, this thing is a killer deal for a carry knife. I love the trapper size and it can easily hook a pocket or belt loop to open one handed. It is also easy to pinch open. 

The blue one is Rough Ryder’s higher end “Reserve” Easy Open Razor. I was intrigued by so many reviews comparing the Reserve knives to GEC, I decided to pick one up for $40. It really is a nicely made knife that just may come close to GEC quality for less than 1/4 of the price. I also ordered the Reserve Kayak, which is a take on the Canoe pattern. It’s supposed to be a great knife as well for $50. 

I am waiting on a Canal Street made “Union Razor” one arm to come in as well. The eBay seller didn’t have it described well, and I just happened upon it the other night and won it for a steal.  

F7FFD24A-1E2A-4590-A917-307C7916B6B9.jpeg

48F63AA5-EA58-4504-A450-CFC17ED3DF64.jpeg

A45387BF-53F6-4D3B-B3A4-FA7A906C6785.jpeg

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 3

Nice ! A good friend of mine was a designer for Camillus Cutlery .

He now makes and sells custom knives and has a shop set up across from the old cutlery .

They did knives for movies too like , Indiana Jones , and others I can’t remember the names of .

Check out his work and some of the knives he has for sale if you ever get to Camillus 

That is quite the shop. I’ll have to stop over sometime. It’s a couple of hours, good for a day trip. I’ve been wanting to tour some of the old New York knife factories. It’s amazing how much cutlery history takes place in NYS. 

Just now, Splitear said:

That is quite the shop. I’ll have to stop over sometime. It’s a couple of hours, good for a day trip. I’ve been wanting to tour some of the old New York knife factories. It’s amazing how much cutlery history takes place in NYS. 

Plan on spending some time there , it’s basically a museum .

Lots of info ..and some very nice knives .

Wally is amazing at what he can do . He bought out tons of blades , handles , boxes etc and out the knives together and finished them .

He sells a lot on EBay plus makes custom knives for a bunch of places , like Ducks Unlimited , Remington etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Splitear said:

The knife factory is gone now. The older original part of it were turned into loft apartments and the larger “newer” part burned to the ground during that renovation.  

The store is cool and worth a trip though, he has quite a selection for such a small store.   And there is a small “museum” of Camillus Knives that is interesting.  

• Like 1

Just now, Otto said:

That’s a mile and a half from my house.  Great guy, I stop in all too frequently. 

Next time you see him tell him the “ coon man “ was talking him up ...

I’ve been friends with him since 1980s

We coon hunted together for years while he was a night watchman for Camillus ,

I used to drop and see him at midnight after I left my girlfriends house .

Id walk his rounds with him thru out the whole plant ...

Never heard of a one arm jack before.What makes it a one arm the tip?

I've been on a stockmen's kick lately.I have a bid on a rough rider "longrifle" and a RR "Don't tresd on me" heading my way.Only because i don't have any rough riders.

Good look collection

11 hours ago, Splitear said:

46 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Never heard of a one arm jack before.What makes it a one arm the tip?

I've been on a stockmen's kick lately.I have a bid on a rough rider "longrifle" and a RR "Don't tresd on me" heading my way.Only because i don't have any rough riders.

Good look collection

Yes, the notched tip on the main blade is designed to catch on a pocket or belt loop, which allows it to open with one hand. 

I never thought I would purchase a Rough Ryder on purpose, but I’m really impressed with the value on my razor trapper. It’s got some gapping in the scales, and some tool marks here and there, but for the price it is a sharp, tight knife. Good luck with yours. 

18 hours ago, luberhill said:

Nice ! A good friend of mine was a designer for Camillus Cutlery .

He now makes and sells custom knives and has a shop set up across from the old cutlery .

They did knives for movies too like , Indiana Jones , and others I can’t remember the names of .

Check out his work and some of the knives he has for sale if you ever get to Camillus 

Does he do custom knives for private consumers? (Tell my wife I'm asking for a friend) I have a design in mind that I cannot find anywhere and am looking for someone to make it for me. But i am looking for a quality bladesmith in NY. Thanks Forged In Fire lol

6 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Does he do custom knives for private consumers? (Tell my wife I'm asking for a friend) I have a design in mind that I cannot find anywhere and am looking for someone to make it for me. But i am looking for a quality bladesmith in NY. Thanks Forged In Fire lol

Yes he does

• Like 1