Aim low to score

sweet old bill

Over the years when I did miss it seems I shoot for the center mass and not take the time to fine tune the shot for a heart shot so for me I now say aim low to score. Now someone may say that you will miss if you aim for the heart as a deer will jump the string, well with these new bows they I think make not a lot of noise and the arrow speed is such that a deer will not be able to jump the string.

what is your experience aim low to score or not....

Over the years when I did miss it seems I shoot for the center mass and not take the time to fine tune the shot for a heart shot so for me I now say aim low to score. Now someone may say that you will miss if you aim for the heart as a deer will jump the string, well with these new bows they I think make not a lot of noise and the arrow speed is such that a deer will not be able to jump the string.

what is your experience aim low to score or not....

Actually by shooting for the heart you will likely still get a killing shot even if the deer does try to jump the string. Actually, the act of "jumping the string" is merely the motion that a deer goes through when it starts to run away. The first thing that any four-legged critter does when it runs is to drop down to load up the legs for that first bound. So the body always drops. If you are shooting low to start with (i.e. a heart-shot), you have a good chance to hit in the lungs. What can get ugly is the fact that most deer are also turning as the begin that initial leap. That can put the arrow out of alignment with the vitals ..... not good.

Most of us have seen repeated video demos of deer jumping the string, so most likely I'm not saying anything new.

The best deal is to have a deer that is not alerted standing there in a spring-loaded condition ready to go off.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the larger the deer, the less quick they are. For example, there is more inertia, and also a tired old buck, wore out from a night of rutting, just can't get it all moving quite as fast as the smaller ones can. So go out and find one of those big ol' bow-legged, sway-backed, sleepy bucks with the eyes half closed. ;D

Doc

Thats why they say to aim for the lower third, if it does jump the string you are still ok. Ofcourse thats easier said then done when you are at full draw and excited. As far the bows being faster, they ain't fast enough yet. If a deer wants to go it will, it may not avoid the arrow but it is amazing how fast they can move.

i gotta add one thing on the string jump problem, if a deer is not looking at you when you shoot the sound of the bow is whats going to alert it, now some bows are tossing arrows at 300 fps and sound travels at roughly 1100 fps, you have a slight edge, do the math.

"BUT" when a deer is staring right at you the first thing that alerts the deer is the visual snap of the bow limbs and the arrow flying towards it which is almost immediate.

if a deer is looking right at me i do tend to aim a bit lower. but then sometimes you do everything right and you still end up with a total disaster, thats deer hunting ;D

Just thought I'd mention; alot of guys dont bend into the shot properly and so their shot might be a little high from 15+'. I try to go for a heart area shot but that isn't a constant because of cover, angle etc.

Good point . If you don't bend at the waist when shooting from an elevated position , the shot will be high because you would have dropped your bow arm . You want to keep your bow arm parallel to your body .