Nassau County Deer

wooffer

Actually I there was an 8pt buck that was found dead on Route 106 just in front of Stop & Shop in December 2011. There has been another sighting of another big boy just south of 25A in the area of the Muttontown Preserve. Few people have seen him that I know but usually in the wee early morning hours.

Friends of mine who live in the Cove (I'm in OB) have told me they have deer living on their property. Crazy!

This was basically on some guys lawn as you headed toward 25A. We have friends in Mill Neck and the deer come into their backyard. I live close to you also

They are all migrating down from the Huntington area! When I was going to school at Queens College, I would take classes at the environmental center at Caumsett State Park. We would sleep their at night, I would go out at around 5 am, and see the herds in the field. They cull them there each year with snipers! :(

My Wife works at Sagamore Hill,Theodore Roosevelts home,in Cove neck.They see them all the time.ironicly,There were no deer on the property when TR was a live.There is also a thriving turkey population in Cove neck.When Im upstate in May,And seeing nothing,My wife calls me and says she had to shoo the flock away from her car in order to get to it.

My Wife works at Sagamore Hill,Theodore Roosevelts home,in Cove neck.They see them all the time.ironicly,There were no deer on the property when TR was a live.There is also a thriving turkey population in Cove neck.When Im upstate in May,And seeing nothing,My wife calls me and says she had to shoo the flock away from her car in order to get to it.

That photo was taken off the same road you use to go the TR Sanctuary. Their is a flock of wild turkey that hang out in the area too.

Unlike their northern cousins these guys are not shy. I had 6 land in the middle of a quite road by my house one morning. They didn't seem to know why they landed but they held up traffic for a while before we chased them away.

A few years ago I was kayaking near oyster bay and got out to eat and saw quite a few tracks along the water, I was surprised because I had never seen tracks there before.. I mentioned it to a Resident of the area this past fall who knew that they were there.A few weeks later he saw me again and told me that he had recently seen two deer in that area .

Seeing the photo of the local Turkeys reminded me of the flock that used to be on Wantagh Avenue, in Nassau County. They've been gone for years now, I heard that they captured them and moved them. They really looked out of place in Wantagh.

They are all migrating down from the Huntington area! When I was going to school at Queens College, I would take classes at the environmental center at Caumsett State Park. We would sleep their at night, I would go out at around 5 am, and see the herds in the field. They cull them there each year with snipers! :(

Here is the letter for the culling.

https://files.nyu.ed...ling-notice.pdf

More info on the same subject

http://huntington.patch.com/articles/deer-still-need-management-in-lloyd-harbor-mayor-says

Edited by wooffer

Just say this post, I have seen deer more than once in the JFK bird santuary next to Tobay beach. I fish alot back there and pass through it while duckhunting all winter. Saw 2 nice bucks together last fall. Plenty of land for them to hide over there, fresh water, and some woods. Also found tracks on a bigger island off copeige this season while duckhunting.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Another deer spotted in nassau today. Much closer to Queens.

A deer spotted in a park in New Hyde Park this afternoon eluded animal control crews and is still missing, Town of North Hempstead officials say.

As of late Wednesday afternoon, animal control officials were still pursuing the deer, which was discovered at noon roaming Clinton G. Martin Park at New Hyde Park Road and Marcus Avenue.

"They tried to bring this thing down with tranquilizer darts," said Collin Nash, a spokesman for the town. "The deer kept going, scampered off, and they're chasing him off."

The search was called off at nightfall. Officials said the animal had been shot with one dart.

• 9 years later...