Maine moose/grouse hunt 2021

Robin

This year my son in laws dad pulled a bull moose tag in Maine's zone 4, second season (Oct 11-16th). I joined my sil, my grandson, sil's dad (permittee) and sil's brother (subpermittee) where theyhunted around Baker Lake, Maine. They hired a guide as this was a new zone for them, the dad is older and he figured this might be his last shot.

We set up camp on Friday, hunters and guide scouted and saw 4 bulls in 2 days. Unfortunatley, the weather turned, it got hot (75 deg.) and that was the last they saw till Friday morning at daybreak. It was a 100 yard free hand shot (.300 win mag) that set the bull on his haunches and the son's follow up shot put him down. 

While the moose was not a large one, it was a decent harvest and the hunters where happy. It was quickly gutted, loaded on a trailer and stuffed with ice. We broke camp fast and after a 3 hour logging road drive we hit Mllinocket, Maine for some more ice. The butcher was skinning it out that evening. He mentioned he had to throw out a complete moose because of the heat and time it took to get it to the butcher.

Everyday my son in law, his 11 year old son Jake and myself went bird hunting. Nothing better than watching your grandson get his limit 3 times. 

Joe, guide and son Dan

077.thumb.JPG.7eea6da14d388b3cbd42d0988b4c1797.JPG

My 11 year old grandson Jake with one of many and his ss 20 gauge

020.thumb.JPG.56551ac19aee59844400a5fefd14aafa.JPG

New "White Duck" tent fit 5 guys on cots with room for one more.

039.thumb.JPG.d228323a79988b54dbd898b0934432fb.JPG

My small wall tent, veteran of many ADK canoe in deer camps, I'm closing in on 100 nights in it.

004.thumb.JPG.c986e54a6dd26d3d4f6abdd74047173d.JPG

Son in law Jay with son Jake grilling grouse breasts with bacon and onions

053.thumb.JPG.0b5d188696eb798001f0877cb2070c53.JPG

• Like 25

3 hours ago, virgil said:

That's awesome.  Are they Maine residents?  I've been putting in for a tag for a few years.  Hoping someday.

Thanks,

Yes, he moved from Ct two years ago, as did I. He's been putting in for many years. His son (resident)shot a bull 2 years ago, his daughter (resident) drew a tag 4 years ago and they got skunked, his son's wife (my daughter, resident) drew a tag 7 years ago  and my son was the co-permittee and he shot the moose.