Keys to easier store bought chicken avoidance:

The first step is the easiest: Get yourself a copy of the world’s all time best seller and read it cover to cover.  You don’t have to do it all at once and you don’t even need to start at the beginning.  It is chock full of hidden gems.  Things like why God populated the world with plants, fish and animals and which ones are the best to eat.

What version you get is unimportant, because they all contain the same basic message.  I have read most of the common ones, started with the King James, then NIV, and even the modern “The Message” version.  I carry a pocket-sized King James New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs in my hunting pack.

Except for the Sunday’s, when I am able to make it to church, I try to read a couple pages every day before I leave the house.  That takes less than 10 minutes. 

I started reading the Good Book around 10 years ago.  The very next hunting season, on opening day afternoon of gun season, I experienced the first clear sign of its effectiveness:  

I had a good morning hunt, and there was a pair of fat button bucks hanging in our garage, one that I had killed and the other was gifted to us by a friend.  Our kids were small then and didn’t eat much yet, so we were in good shape with meat, including a 4 point that I had taken with my bow.

I contemplated not even going out after lunch in the house with my wife but it was still opening day of gun season for crying out loud.  I grabbed grandpa’s old Ithaca 37 and my Bible, and headed for my stand, deep in the woods, across the street. 

I hadn’t heard many shots, from that side of our road in the morning, while our side had sounded like WW3.  My shotgun hung from a cut off branch and I was up in the stand reading. The only action that I saw, was another hunter sneaking thru the far side of the woods, about an hour after I was up there. The minutes ticked away with no more action until 5 minutes before sunset.

I always knew sunset time, and always unloaded my gun the second that it hit, on afternoon hunts.   For a reason known only to The Man Upstairs, His Book slipped out of my hands 5 minutes early, and fell down onto the forrest floor.  

Not desperate for meat,  I decided to climb down 5 minutes early, but I did NOT unload my gun.  Seconds after I reached the ground, a flock of turkeys landed right in the little patch of brush under my tree.  That startled me, but not as much as the 8 pointer, that stuck his big rack, head, and neck out from behind a tree 10 yards away.

His turkey sentries were not able to help him then, and my slug hit the base of his neck with about 2 minutes to go.  Had I stayed up in that tree stand till sunset, they would have picked out my blaze orange-camo jacket, from a mile away.  

From that point until now, we have not had to buy much chicken.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That startled me, but not as much as the 8 pointer, that stuck his big rack, head, and neck out from behind a tree 10 yards away.

Wow, thats quite a story!! So youre saying the buck was like 10 yds from you the whole time you were in your stand then and would have stayed there had you stayed put till sunset?

20 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Wow, thats quite a story!! So youre saying the buck was like 10 yds from you the whole time you were in your stand then and would have stayed there had you stayed put till sunset?

My stand was above a small patch of thick cover and about 50 yards from a big block of nearly impenetrable cover.  I think that is where the buck and the turkeys were, most of the time I was up in the stand.  

My stand was a small hang-on, identical to this one, and about 12 feet up a pine tree.  The only difference was that I used cut off pine tree branches and not an old aluminum ladder to get to it.  I had trimmed all of the branches off the tree below me, but my tree was ringed by shorter pines and brush, that I could see over from the stand. 

The turkeys and the buck must have covered the distance from their daytime hideout, to my little ring of cover, in the time it took me to climb down my tree.  I was very careful and slow, because my gun was still loaded.  I am not sure if I would have shot it, had I known the trouble it’s killing would stir up.  

I had hunted those woods since I was 14, but the old lady that owned them had died, and her daughter sold them to a friend of mine a few years prior to my “Bible/turkey” buck kill. 

I am also good friends with his brother in law, who’s son (a fishing protege/buddy of mine) offered to do a euro mount of the buck (that was before I got my power washer).  
He used the old boiling water in a stinky pot method. 

The new owner of the woods knew about my stand, and was ok with me hunting it. I had also taken a smaller antlered buck from it with my bow, while he owned the woods.  He was not thrilled with me killing the bigger one, with my gun, but I think he would have gotten over it.

When his nephew finished the euro process, and before I took delivery, another brother in law (who has a reputation for stirring up trouble), took a photo of it.  He had it made into a “happy New Years” card, signed my name to it, and dropped it into the owner’s mailbox.

The new owner promptly banned me from hunting those woods, cut the tree, and claims to have thrown my stand in the garbage.  It took a while to make amends, but he got over it after about two years, and we get along good again now.   He sold the woods last year, and I never got around to asking permission to hunt them again, while he owned it.  

616BF4F6-AF18-420B-99F5-F5D26167AEF4.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 2:47 AM, blackbeltbill said:

1st Thessalonians 4:15 - very important  now because it describes  the Pre Tribulation Rapture. Soon to come before WW3 Starts.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved- 1 Corinthians 15:4. 

Epeshians-We are saved through Grace in Faith in Christ- not of ourselves-- Not Of Works- least Any Man Should Boast.

Remember  the Thief on the Cross next to Jesus? He Believed and was saved. 

Last sentence in the above Thessalonians-- therefore-- " Comfort" eachother with these words.

And that comfort is to be Raptured up to meet Jesus in the Air and receive our new Angelic Bodies in-  A Twinkling  Of an Eye- before the 7 year Tribulation starts- ( The Time Of Jacob's Trouble).

Russia and China are both looking to invade their Neighbors and possibly  at the same time.  And both Countries  have developed  Hypersonic Missiles that cannot be detected by Radar. The US does not have these yet..

Alot of people  have no idea what is going on. Your Thread allowed me to get this post up for at least 1 Person out there.

So- we probably  believe  differently and dont have to spare about this. I am going from Decades of Study.

And more to " this Home"-- the Hunting site-- Both Deer + Wild Turkeys hone into eachother. Deer can Smell- while Wild Turkeys have a very poor sense of Smell.

Wild Turkeys have much better Eyesight then Deer and extremely  good Hearing- which is Why a Hunter cannot- " Walk up a Turkey" unless he Stalks well like myself. And ,I have known very good Deer hunters who struggle  to Bag a Gobbler. 

So basically- Deer + Wild Turkeys are Sentries for eachother and on even terms.

In that particular woods, I have never seen a turkey or a group of turkeys that were not accompanied by at least one deer.  When I saw the turkeys in close that time, I immediately started to look for a deer.  The buck showed up just seconds after the birds.  

I am not worried about Russia and China or an apocalypse anytime soon,  because it is written that no one knows the time or the place.  Those who have been making predictions, since biblical times until these days, are just false prophets.  

It could happen before I finish typing this, or in 100000 or more years.  Time has no meaning to God.  As long as you accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, then He will bear the full burden of all of your sins, and you have absolutely nothing to fear.  There may be other ways into Heaven, but none that I am aware of.   

Now if He would bless me with just one more button buck, before Jan 2, 2022, I would be a real happy camper this winter , and my wife even more so. 

3 hours ago, airedale said:

Wolc what is your advice to someone like me that actually loves eating Chicken?:yes:

Al

If you are looking for the relatively stress-free acquisition of all the chicken you need, then I would go about it exactly the same way.

I would probably be more into eating chicken myself, if I hadn’t been fed so much of it as a youth.  We raised meat chickens back then.  I even had the champion bird, at our county fair, in 1974.

Being the oldest sibling, I always got to help, when my dad butchered.  One time one flopped out of the old tin garbage can and into the creek, after he lopped off its head with a hatchet.  I had to swim out and retrieve it.  After they stopped flopping, he would dip them in a kettle of boiling water, then hand them to me to pluck. To this day, I won’t order chicken, when we go out to eat. 

Our kids might end up feeling the same way about venison and fish after they move out.  Right now, they still seem to like it pretty good.