Summit Tree Stands

I was wondering how the new stand worked out for you last hunting season? I'm looking to buy my first climber and I'm gonna get a summit just looking to get some input before I decide which one

I tried the new viper elite stand from summit last season and found it to be noisy. I don't mind a little metal sound while setting up, but its a problem while up in tree hunting. If I am in stand and shift my feet or my weight a certaoin way I can get noise from platform. Unacceptable. Especially for the price. I tried filling the platform with a foam but have yet to take it up a tree and test it. Aside from noise, rest is good. Light, simple, comfy, packs up tight and quiet.

I tried the new viper elite stand from summit last season and found it to be noisy. I don't mind a little metal sound while setting up, but its a problem while up in tree hunting. If I am in stand and shift my feet or my weight a certaoin way I can get noise from platform. Unacceptable. Especially for the price. I tried filling the platform with a foam but have yet to take it up a tree and test it. Aside from noise, rest is good. Light, simple, comfy, packs up tight and quiet.

I've  noticed with my 6 year old Summit climber ( believe it's a Viper ), the foot platform is noisy if it isn't firmly planted squarely into the tree. Kinda like a twisting and  flexing of the platform.  The seat assembly  firmly digs into the tree with body weight, and have never given any problems. Climbers are noisey, attaching to the tree, plus going up the tree. The form idea could just remove some of that hollow tubing noise.

Hmmm , I have the open shot and its solid as a rock and never heard a peep out if it up in the tree.. Wondering if because the vipers platform is a little larger it tweaks a little when shifting wt on it... Other than that a little noisy climbing but havnt found a climber yet that's not...

The Open Shot is the same lower platform as a Viper IIRC

is it ? Never owned a viper , thought the platform was a larger model .. Well then if its the same platform than maybe he got a bad batch, idk , I'm 6'2" 220 and it is the most stable platform (climbers / hangings) that I've ever sat in , and quiet too ... "Scratching my head"

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks, I finally had a chance to test out the modifications I made to my viper elite climber. To refresh your memory, I placed pipe iinsulating foam inside the platform tubes and zip tied more of the foam to sections of the outside of the stand. I only did this on the bottom portion of climber because that is where noise was coming from. It seems to have worked quite well. I couldn't duplicate the noise. Before I claim victory I still want to put in an honest hunt with it, in quiet woods and see how it goes.

Nesting the two pieces together now takes a little coaxing, but its no big deal. Well worth the fix.

I think as season goes on, I will need to keep an eye on the foam for wear and tear and to make sure it stays in position.

• 3 weeks later...

I have actually called in 2 bucks and killed them shortly after there arrival from the noise of climbing up the tree. I have also called in alot of deer prior to the season when climbing up a tree to trim branches out in prep for the upcoming season. I go as far as grunting sometime when Im climbing to make it sound like a buck rubbing the tree. Just be ready, sometimes you dont get far up the tree before they come running in. :spiteful:

ERussel,  I;ve experienced the same thing a few times.  In fact, once early in the bow season I had a group of 4 bucks walk under my stand while I was up there trimming branches. 

Even still, I always worry about making noise climbing the tree...I like your idea about grunting.  Though with my luck, I'll have a monster charge in only to find me half way up the tree with my bow on the ground.

A few times I put out some doe estrus in the morning in the dark, just before climbing my tree.  Only to have a buck come running in as i was climbing up.