Looking for muzzleloader purchasing help

billey100

Hi there!  With my son now able to hunt this year at 12 and this special Xmas session there is more incentive for me to try to get a muzzleloader for next year.  With that said I have never owned one, nor done any research on what brands are good right now.  I am a middle of the road cost wise person, never buy junk but don't spend the top dollar either.  I don't know enough about the various brands or what features really make a difference that one model may have over the other.  Looking for suggestions so I can keep my eye out for deals or used ones and also what would a medium tiered ML cost ballpark be anyway?

I have a good nikon 3x9 scope to put on it that I have on my slug I no longer use so this would be just the gun.  However I am not opposed to buying a combo if it makes financial sense or to good of a deal.  Let me know if there is anything I am leaving out that may help?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, billey100 said:

Hi there!  With my son now able to hunt this year at 12 and this special Xmas session there is more incentive for me to try to get a muzzleloader for next year.  With that said I have never owned one, nor done any research on what brands are good right now.  I am a middle of the road cost wise person, never buy junk but don't spend the top dollar either.  I don't know enough about the various brands or what features really make a difference that one model may have over the other.  Looking for suggestions so I can keep my eye out for deals or used ones and also what would a medium tiered ML cost ballpark be anyway?

I have a good nikon 3x9 scope to put on it that I have on my slug I no longer use so this would be just the gun.  However I am not opposed to buying a combo if it makes financial sense or to good of a deal.  Let me know if there is anything I am leaving out that may help?

Thanks!

After extensive research, I decided on this one a couple of months ago: CVA Optima V2 with a nitride barrel https://cva.com/product/optima-v2-nitride-with-camo-stocks-and-scope-mount/ 

I considered it to be the best comprise in terms of weight, quality, and cost. 

One thing to keep in mind as you enter the muzzleloading world, is that there are safety concerns pertaining to barrel obstructions. Search online for safety videos. Another thing to keep in mind is that unlike with modern smokeless powder (which you never use in a muzzleloader), black powder and substitutes burn dirty and leave behind ~50% particulate matter. Modern smokeless powders combust to ~99% gas so they leave almost no residue (again, never to be used in muzzleloaders). This means that you will have to clean your muzzleloader's barrel after every few shots. The only exception to this seems to be Blackhorn 209 powder which burns much cleaner.

• Like 2

Given the current supply issues  with bh209, I would recommend going with pyrodex or t7 powder for the short term anyhow.   Cleaning is no problem with those, using a foaming bore cleaner and a bore snake.

T/C, CVA, Traditions and others all make good 50 cal in-lines.  There are likely good deals to be had now, at the close of the season.  Find a .50 cal that you and the kid like and work up a good load for it in the off season.  

I use a T/C omega, but I would probably go with something a little lighter (like a T/C encore) if I were shopping for one for a kid these days.  There is barely any perceivable recoil from a ML, compared to a slug gun, so an average 12 year old could handle most of them and your scope should work fine. 

• Like 1

Most any of the t/cs or CVAs and Traditions are well built and dependable....although I may get disagreement when I say stay away from the CVA Wolf. I have seen and shot several of them and although they are light and handy and accurate enough, I found them flimsy and built very poorly. they sell cheap and definetly are a bottom of the barrel choice. I would try to get your son to at least handle some, to make sure they arent overly burdensome/heavy, clumsy to hold. 

No matter what you get, do not get carried away with powder charges. Following the manufacturers guidelines, start low and close for the new shooter.

• Like 1

That's a great link ,almost should be saved on the forum 

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/rifles

Is a good site to look at the reviews and other choices plus bullets 

As said any knight, tc, cva,or traditions will do just fine . Add in that nikon scope and you'll have a deer taker machine. 

My only big  advise, put a witness mark on your ram rod . Can't recommend that enough . Once you start its an addiction.  I have 6 myself. 

• Like 1