Jake decoys

Enigma

Have read alot of guys this year takng toms over a half strutting jake decoy w/ a breeding hen. I have a generic jake that's ok but wanted something else. So I drilled a hole in this B-mobile, added a tail and trimmed the beard down. What do you think? Anyone hunt over a jake/hen setup and how does it work for you?

post-1397-0-21459800-1334791742_thumb.jp

Grizz the feathers are wrong side up. I didn't correct it before I took the photo. I tried using the fan holder supplied w/ the decoy using a tail from a previous bird. Looked very poor so I thought how about trying it tail down. Less intimidating that way???? I was going for the half strut look. I dunno, willing to try anything once 'cause the full strut tail up long beard seemed to run birds off.

If I was only going to take two decoys, a jake - intruder jake & feeding hen would be it. Make sure the jake is in your better line of fire. Typicaly the Tom will go up to kick, fan up a time or two, when he turns and blocks his own line of sight to you is when it's pucker time.

Edited by Fantail

Good luck...I have limited experience with decoys, but with what little experience I have, I have not had good luck with jake decoys, or any gobbler decoys for that matter..I have run off several longbeards with jake decoys.. Birds seem either to IGNORE them or shy off from them..

I prefer to take the KISS approach, and use one or two hen dekes, and I have had the best results with feeding decoys (like the bobble head hen) rather than alert decoys..

As I said, my experience with decoys has been limited, so I don't claim to be an authority on the subject.

Well, for the youth hunt, I tried the feeding hen and the "breeding pair" (B-mobile on the ground and generic jake) + one upright hen. Had 4 different birds at 4 different times look at them and walk off. Going to try "Big Jake" next time I'm out with a couple hens. Might just be me but the birds I'm hearing and hunting are simply not responding to anything right now.