NEW TO NY help!!!!

deerpassion

ya i've noticed that in different counties and zones for that matter the methods of take differ, but if i become a resident to get the cheaper rates, my hunter saftey ed certification from Fl should still be good right? Im gonna call the DEC n ask, i've sure got my list a questions for em now... thnx, JOE

No, i think youll need to take the NY course. Bubba is an instructor, he will know for sure. Either way, wont hurt to take one, will help you get up on more of the regs, etc.

not only the archery class, if you do not have a hunter ed certificate from florida, you will need ot take the hunter ed class as well as the archery class. Licenses from other states are no longer accepted.

someone hinted that your an instructor for the hunter safety? Is this true that i would have to take the reg NY hunter safety if i change my license to get the resident rates even though i have a valid hunter safety education certification from Florida?

Residency , you must live in the state 30 days prior to date of application

Stupid question - What proof of residency is acceptable when purchasing a license?

NYDEC web site says "...permanent residence blah, blah....ie: registered to vote..."

NYS driver's license? UB college ID?

Probably something I'd want to know before going into WalMart or a town clerk's office to get my license.......

FYI: (NYDEC site)

Sportsman Safety Education Requirements

Mandatory Hunter Education: A hunter education course is required for persons who cannot show proof that they have ever possessed a hunting license. The general course is a minimum 10 hours in length. DEC honors hunter education certificates and sporting licenses from all other states and countries.

Mandatory Bowhunter Education: Hunters wishing to bowhunt for deer and bear must take an additional 8 hour minimum bowhunter education course. DEC also honors bowhunter education certificates issued by:

• National Field Archery Association or National Bowhunter Education Foundation or International Bowhunter Education Program issued in 1974 or later in any state or country,
  • Any state or provincial fish and wildlife agency (certificate or card must specify the course was for bowhunting and not a general hunting course with a bowhunting segment),
  • Ontario Bowhunters Association (on green or brown letterhead stationery with moosehead-bow and arrow emblem until July 31, 1987), or
  • Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (on letterhead after August 1, 1987).

Find additional information about Sportsman Education or look for an education course offered near you. You can also find information by contacting a DEC Regional Office or by calling 1-888-HUNT-ED 2 (1-888-4868-332).

Residency

To qualify for a resident license, a person must live in New York State for more than thirty days immediately prior to date of application. Land ownership in New York does not make you a resident. Residency is that place where a person maintains a fixed, permanent and principal home (regardless wherever temporarily located), such as where a person is registered to vote. If under 18, the residence of parents or legal guardian shall be deemed such person's residence.

Active members of the US Armed Forces stationed in NY and full-time college students in residence in the State during the school year (proof required) qualify for annual resident licenses.

ya i've noticed that in different counties and zones for that matter the methods of take differ, but if i become a resident to get the cheaper rates, my hunter saftey ed certification from Fl should still be good right? Im gonna call the DEC n ask, i've sure got my list a questions for em now... thnx, JOE

If you have the certificate, I would go to a license agent and ask if it is good. They can tell you. Or call the DEC office and ask. The other wrinkle you may run into is to be considered a resident, you have to have lived here 6 months before getting the license. So, you may end up having to go non resident anyway.

If you have the certificate, I would go to a license agent and ask if it is good. They can tell you. Or call the DEC office and ask. The other wrinkle you may run into is to be considered a resident, you have to have lived here 6 months before getting the license. So, you may end up having to go non resident anyway.

really? than why would they go n say something like living here 30 days prior to application... i see what your saying though maybe on the DMV's end to change my license.... i always thought you had 30 days no matter where you live to change your address on your license once you move ... hmmm another good question to ask... and i see your in upstate, too bad or i'd ask ya about you being my instructor haha... thnx again...