Hunting on NYC Airports soon?

I think any hunting that is only open to a priveledged few, or the politically connected, is a step in the wrong direction. They may also only shoot the geese, not eat them. Why can't they allow hunters who are screened for permits with background checks? Imagine if this "open only to government" employee hunting were to spread to many more areas of the country. Pretty soon we may start to resemble hunting in Europe in the past, where only royalty was allowed.

Edited by Grouse

You are talking about shooting geese in active airports with air traffic and everything associated with it going on. If you think they would or should allow Billy Bob and his brothers to come out and do some goose hunting, your nuts. The risks are too great and IMO, the only people doing this should be professionals, preferably a private company with enough insurance to cover the possible risk involved.

• Like 1

You seem to have a pretty low stereotypical opinion of the average NY hunter WNY. If the hunters can pass a rigid permit application system that says they are qualified, why not let them hunt? The geese at airports can be hunted far off the runway, way off the flight path of jets, with no possible way to cause any harm. Besides, do you think a load of 3" #2 Steel at 100 yards or more, can actually bring down a 727? That can all be controlled by the people who control the hunts. Do you really think these private companies that are hired to shoot deer are professionals that do it right? Do some research and you may change your mind about those guys. Besides, who do you think winds up paying the tab for hired guns? We Do! Hunting is only allowed now because it keeps game populations in check. Be wary of any ploy to only allow hunting for priviledged or connected people, while excluding the masses. That can get way out of control real quickly. If you doubt it can happen, check into hunting in Europe today. That's the way it is there.

Edited by Grouse

I work at an international airport, part time 1 or 2 times a week. The Federal standards are very high. Trust me, they will not let the average Joe shmow hunter in there, no matter how honest and upstanding a citizen he is....... By the way the bucks are unbelievable.... HUGE TROPHY BUCKS... that die of old age!!! It's nuts!!!

You seem to have a pretty low stereotypical opinion of the average NY hunter WNY. If the hunters can pass a rigid permit application system that says they are qualified, why not let them hunt? The geese at airports can be hunted far off the runway, way off the flight path of jets, with no possible way to cause any harm. Besides, do you think a load of 3" #2 Steel at 100 yards or more, can actually bring down a 727? That can all be controlled by the people who control the hunts. Do you really think these private companies that are hired to shoot deer are professionals that do it right? Do some research and you may change your mind about those guys. Besides, who do you think winds up paying the tab for hired guns? We Do! Hunting is only allowed now because it keeps game populations in check. Be wary of any ploy to only allow hunting for priviledged or connected people, while excluding the masses. That can get way out of control real quickly. If you doubt it can happen, check into hunting in Europe today. That's the way it is there.

I stand by my statement, and the reason is the last sentence of it. Dont take what I said and equate that to me having a low standard of anyone, that would be putting words in my mouth because that is not what I said.

BTW, yes, I do think that the possibility for damage to aircraft would be present. Do I think it would be likely? No. As a hunter, I dont want the stigma of some ding dong damaging an aircraft during one of these proposed hunts to adversely effect my right to hunt. As someone with common sense, I dont see allowing the average guy to hunt on an active airport as very sensible. I also dont see airport hunting as a true solution to the problem they are trying to address.