Bow blew up

sweet old bill

Well in all the years of shooting I finally had one blew up at cabel cut and broke when I was at full draw. I had to even pick up the limbs off the floor. I found that when my son had sent the bo to me for my birthday last year in Nov, included was a extra cable and string. SO I will have to take to a shop to have a new cable put on and the current string is still good as new ( less than 200 shots on it ) WHo do you recommend in the Oneonta area ???

or Delhi area ???

my thanks

Bill

Bummer. Had it happen once with my Darton Maverick in my basement, full draw also. Kind of like a "come to Jesus" moment.

I thought I was hurt bad but it was just a hell of a womp to my wrist and ego. Scared the living daylights out of me. You'll probably be a little gun shy for a bit.............

Bill- You were quite lucky. I've heard some awful nasty horror stories about injuries when bows self-destruct at full draw.

I agree with the suggestion to take a real close look at the limbs. Some of these bows are becoming darn near "delicate" as the manufacturers try to squeeze the last foot per second out of them.

thanks all I shot yesterday with my bowtech commander bow and shot well. The first few arrows it did go thru my mind was this going to occur again, she did have me change shots when the bow blew up, had the limbs on the floor, just a handle left in my hand. I did check the limbs, also the string, both are still looking like new. I found I even have the replacement cable. SO next step is getting it down to I guess Oneonta to the bow shop and see what it will cost to just have the string and cable put on. My buddy had a new set of string, cable p[ut on his bow for a top mfg and it was close to $100 bucks. A lot of more bucks then when if you can think back in time PSE had the tear drop cable (metal wire) and the strings was 52 inches long. You could replace in the field by just pullling a draw, have anothere guy put the new string on the other side of the tear dops and then relax your draw, then just cut the old string off. String cost $9.95...cable did not break as they were made with aircraft wire twists with welded tear drops.

My buddy had a new set of string, cable p[ut on his bow for a top mfg and it was close to $100 bucks. A lot of more bucks then when if you can think back in time PSE had the tear drop cable (metal wire) and the strings was 52 inches long. You could replace in the field by just pullling a draw, have anothere guy put the new string on the other side of the tear dops and then relax your draw, then just cut the old string off. String cost $9.95...cable did not break as they were made with aircraft wire twists with welded tear drops.

I used to make my own strings, so a string change was really cheap. You're right, back in the days when they had the tear-drop fitting, there was no need for bow presses and all kinds of expertise. I could do any kind of bow repair or modification I wanted with a spare, over-sized bowstring (over-sized string so I could do it by myself) that I kept around just for that use.

Bow design has come a long way hasn't it? ..... lol. They have increased the cost of a string change by ten-fold.

Somebody looking for something new to design and put on the market?.... well there is a good lead to a new needed product. Develop and market a bow stringing system on bows that doesn't require a $100 (or whatever) trip to the pro-shop. It wouldn't be all that hard to do.