My UTV upgrades, damage prevention, safety.

41 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I will have to look up a Yamaha clutch just for haha’s.  I don’t have a ton of experience with clutches.  I’ve replaced the rollers in a golf cart primary, thats about it.  At work I always blow them out at oil changes.  I have been watching videos here, and there though, and I have clutch tools set aside in my Amazon cart.  I’m not an Amazon freak but its a good way to remember which tools are needed etc for me.  My dad might even have the tools.  I know my X3 clutch says 500 mile inspections, check rollers etc.  Considering a clutch kit in the future, so I am trying to learn more about these clutches.  Thanks for adding info here!

No biggie , we’re all here to learn a thing or two . That’s why I posted what I did . Yamaha actually has a dual clutch set up , there’s a wet clutch in the engine case and then the actual external cvt . Yamaha uses grease in their rollers/ roller channels in the  outer sheave on the primary) only manufacture that does ) Basically the big difference between Yamaha , (Suzuki uses the same type of clutch set up ) and your Can am  and Polaris is Yamahas and Suzukis wet clutch will disengage and stop the outer sheaves from rotating when one lets of the throttle . Can-am and Polaris cvt sheaves will slip on the belt and continue to spin. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rob-c said:

No biggie , we’re all here to learn a thing or two . That’s why I posted what I did . Yamaha actually has a dual clutch set up , there’s a wet clutch in the engine case and then the actual external cvt . Yamaha uses grease in their rollers/ roller channels in the  outer sheave on the primary) only manufacture that does ) Basically the big difference between Yamaha , (Suzuki uses the same type of clutch set up ) and your Can am  and Polaris is Yamahas and Suzukis wet clutch will disengage and stop the outer sheaves from rotating when one lets of the throttle . Can-am and Polaris cvt sheaves will slip on the belt and continue to spin. 

Pretty neat, thanks for explaining, I will definitely look into it

• Like 1

Adding some lighting.  An inexpensive light bar that I had on my ATV prior, that I swapped over.  I like to make my own relay wiring harnesses for my lighting.  I just enjoy doing so, but a lot of manufacturers include a relay harness, or have them available.  Pre-made harnesses I have seen from $10-$60ish depending on the specs of what you plan to power with them.  Anyways, I solder, and shrink tube everything, and I prefer to run my grounds right to the battery.  On my machine it has power posts in the tunnel in between the seats.  Simple enough to get to…it features a constant hot, key hot, and ground.  The power posts are just a stud you bolt onto.  I use an inline fuse, and a relay in between this power post, and light.  I purchased vehicle specific light bar brackets for the shock tower.  I have 2 more LED pod lights that I am acquiring parts for now to install onto the roll cage so it all looks factory inside.  I use 14 ga wire typically, and 30/40a relays, etc.  Hopefully people enjoy posts like this?

4D8F2804-54C8-4BFA-80B6-627CE14A498E.jpeg

0636731A-1BC7-4E79-A339-2D85A0A49CFB.jpeg

4A64B81F-D02E-48FF-B14B-1609E13B372D.jpeg

26A25DAE-9320-4AD1-A2F7-142880ED7F2E.jpeg

ED438092-D0E6-4AB0-BC66-F2B075DBC55C.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Adding some lighting.  An inexpensive light bar that I had on my ATV prior, that I swapped over.  I like to make my own relay wiring harnesses for my lighting.  I just enjoy doing so, but a lot of manufacturers include a relay harness, or have them available.  Pre-made harnesses I have seen from $10-$60ish depending on the specs of what you plan to power with them.  Anyways, I solder, and shrink tube everything, and I prefer to run my grounds right to the battery.  On my machine it has power posts in the tunnel in between the seats.  Simple enough to get to…it features a constant hot, key hot, and ground.  The power posts are just a stud you bolt onto.  I use an inline fuse, and a relay in between this power post, and light.  I purchased vehicle specific light bar brackets for the shock tower.  I have 2 more LED pod lights that I am acquiring parts for now to install onto the roll cage so it all looks factory inside.  I use 14 ga wire typically, and 30/40a relays, etc.  Hopefully people enjoy posts like this?

Well that fits the front just perfect .. Nice .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Looks great and nice clean work!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Well that fits the front just perfect .. Nice .

Thanks, I lucked out with fitment for sure.  Cheap bar, but great for trails, shame not to utilize it.

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Looks great and nice clean work!

Thank you sir.  I have 2 more lights to add, just waiting for the switch to arrive.  I will take better pics, and show more detail this install coming up.

• Like 1

The only 3 throngs I knew I needed when I bought the sxs was to relocate the intake higher with a prefilter (I have that now), skid plates and storage.   Trying not to move too fast as its real easy to drop a lot of money on upgrades on even a new machine.  lol

As some of you know I bought ATVs for my 3 boys this past Christmas. We were riding Sunday when it was warm, but very windy and had a widow maker fall between 2 of my boys as they were stuck in a bog. Also had to adjust the throttle (governor) on my youngest's quad and I realized there were 2 important items missing from my UTV. Yes they all come with basic tool kits, but having a decent tool kit for all situation is better. Also, not just a first aid kit but a trauma kit with tourniquet is on order too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FFNJD5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CKFT3XT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RY2EDE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719PGJ2B?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

The only 3 throngs I knew I needed when I bought the sxs was to relocate the intake higher with a prefilter (I have that now), skid plates and storage.   Trying not to move too fast as its real easy to drop a lot of money on upgrades on even a new machine.  lol

In what area does the intake pull air air from on the Talon? It’s like anything else, everyone’s needs wants will differ due by to riding areas, etc.

4 hours ago, Bionic said:

In what area does the intake pull air air from on the Talon? It’s like anything else, everyone’s needs wants will differ due by to riding areas, etc.

Right rear fender well.  Stupid placement IMO.   Minimally it’s dusty and dirty and could be subject to a deep water crossing.  It will be relocated to above rear fender behind the right rear passenger seat with a prefilter attached.  Like this. 

C244C17D-1754-4F32-99AD-821CF0B3AC62.jpeg

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

It’s only money ^_^,  you can’t take it with you . And look at it this way at least you have something to show for all that money spent . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Right rear fender well.  Stupid placement IMO.   Minimally it’s dusty and dirty and could be subject to a deep water crossing.  It will be relocated to above rear fender behind the right rear passenger seat with a prefilter attached.  Like this. 

C244C17D-1754-4F32-99AD-821CF0B3AC62.jpeg

Yeah not ideal like you said.  You go for a rip in your machine yet or what??? lol 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, Bionic said:

Yeah not ideal like you said.  You go for a rip in your machine yet or what??? lol 

Not really.  Need to trailer it to my place or Culvers and the weather has sucked.   But I did drop some coin on skid plates today.  15% off the ricochet plates for asking.  I have some mods to finish up and with the weather changing, I might as well get em done before making a mess of everything.  lol

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not really.  Need to trailer it to my place or Culvers and the weather has sucked.   But I did drop some coin on skid plates today.  15% off the ricochet plates for asking.  I have some mods to finish up and with the weather changing, I might as well get em done before making a mess of everything.  lol

Niiiice.  Your factory skids, how are they attached? The X3’s are riveted on, pisses a lot off drilling them all out.  You haven’t taken that thing up the road? 

4 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Niiiice.  Your factory skids, how are they attached? The X3’s are riveted on, pisses a lot off drilling them all out.  You haven’t taken that thing up the road? 

Took it around the block in the subdivision but no real ripping.   Factory are bolted on and the ricochet uses mostly all factory holes and a few brackets.  They have been great on my ATV.  Looks like a pretty easy 2hr install job (famous last words!).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Took it around the block in the subdivision but no real ripping.   Factory are bolted on and the ricochet uses mostly all factory holes and a few brackets.  They have been great on my ATV.  Looks like a pretty easy 2hr install job (famous last words!).

Nice, you will be in good shape.  Plus being NEW, you will not deal with dirty bolt threads, and debris getting in your way, etc.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Nice, you will be in good shape.  Plus being NEW, you will not deal with dirty bolt threads, and debris getting in your way, etc.

Yeah but dirty bolt threads and debris make’s me smile when I work on mine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1