Gray squirrels

edbone

Ok guys and gals I would like your input on this one because i have wondered about it for 30 plus years.I do some hunting on some state land about 35 min north of syracuse near Parish called Happy Valley.In all of those years i have never once seen a gray squirrel on that trac of land(i think about 1900 acres)I have seen numerous porcupines up there though.I have seen a few reds but not an extreme amount.I have a friend who has camp near Forestport(which i have never been there) who says no grays there either.Whats the deal???

I would have to agree with Turkeyfeather. Food is the biggest reason for not seeing grays. I have hunted a piece of land for close to 15 years. First year there, there were squirrels all over. The fruit/nut bearing trees rarely produce and now I have not seen a squirrel in nearly 2 years.

A lot of state land has large areas of planted evergreens, like red pine.

Red squirrels are also called pine squirrels, and eat the cones of evergreens such as pine and hemlock.They often live in pine plantations and do well there.

Grey squirrels prefer hard mast such as oak, beech and hickory. If the hardwoods are absent, there won't be many grey squirrels.

Mature evergreens such as white pine and hemlock DO provide good nesting/denning cover for grey squirrels, but they need food, too.

The best squirrel woods have a mix of nut/seed producing trees for feed and large evergreens for cover.