Another bird down

alloutdoors

Given the forecast for rain my buddy and I decided to go after some field birds and take the blind, figuring we could at least stay dry if nothing else. We had some distant gobbling early and then after a while some hen talk from the treeline at the edge of the field. It was after 6:00 when the nearby gobblers finally joined in. They flew down and went silent for a little while and then two birds started gobbling from near the field edge. We had thick fog and couldn't see more than about 70 yards but they hammered back at a short series of yelps and clucks. We could tell from the gobbling that they were working closer and when the fog finally thinned a bit we could see them at about 120 yards. At that point we could see it was just the two gobblers on their own and they locked on to the decoys and started making a deliberate approach. I put the binoculars on them when they reached the decoys and could see it was another pair of two-year old birds. Tim let one of them have it and we let the other one go. I finished my season in the first two days last year and didn't really want to do that again. I'll go back on a nicer day and get after them in the woods, and with a bit of luck I'll get on one of the older birds that we've seen there. It's been a good start to the season though with three birds in two days, and now Tim has his NY tags filled and can try to add a couple more in PA. I'm looking forward to getting back out, and hoping that the sun actually makes an appearance sometime this month.

16lbs, 1/2" spurs, 8 1/2" beard (and looking like a drowned rat)

imagejpeg_0_zpswm0bfuml.jpg

The two lines running diagonally through the photo are the tracks left by the gobblers as they knocked the dew off the grass on their way through the field.

20160502_063248_zpsnvgswyfh.jpg

• Like 12