Ground blinds...

growalot

As you know I do lots of cutting and use every thing...making fences but also ground blinds...the last few days of rain has kept my work inside but grabbed camera on way out for walk....thought I'd snap some pics of a few of the many blinds I maintain on trails to stands and my view from them...I can glass ahead and if I have deer between me and a stand then I have a hidey hole to duck into...perhaps for a shot...they've cost me nothing but work and time...which I had to use anyways to clear tops...the plastic arm chairs my dad in-law was throwing out so I painted them camo...the umbrella in the first pic is attached to a re-bar pole and I painted that camo as well $3 from dollar store...retracts when not in use and been there 4yrs...keeps some rain and snow off me

Here a couple more...there are 12 scattered around...for my old age as well...lol...big enough to add a second chair if wanted...good turkey blinds as well....I add to them every year some are nearly ten years old now and block wind pretty well...deer use them ans wind breaks during the winter.....lots of birds nest in them as well...In a few I'm thinking of adding blk locust frame and a camo tarp roof for rain and snow...time will tell..that is if I have any...just ideas for those that like ground hunting...Suns out..gotta run.....

Another method of constuction that I favor is an "wall" blind. Basically it is built from some big fat tree. We have some huge mature trees that are big enough to hide behind and draw your bow. When they are not wide enough, they can have logs and brush stacked along the side. Preferably, I will see the incoming deer and get behind the "Wall" so I can shoot from a standing position where my drawing motions will not be detected. When I am drawn, I either tip out from behind the tree or let the deer continue along the trail until he is exposed on the other side. Properly built of old existing weathered logs, they look fairly natural and will last for years. Eventually, they simply become a natural part of the landscape. Works pretty well.

What I like about your design is that you have 360 degrees of cover and view. Deer don't always cooperate by coming down the trail .... lol. I have been caught by deer coming in behind me for absolutely no reason whatever, and there I sit with absolutely no cover ...... Gotcha! It's happened more than once.

post-11-0-18591500-1338912701_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-86691700-1338912762_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-17676000-1338912789_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-07689300-1338912810_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-76784000-1338912842_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-43332500-1338912869_thumb.jpg

The last picture is a bit hard to pick out. It is dead center of the picture and is a deer's-eye view at 20 yards.

Well, it's not the kind of thing I would throw up and then try to use it the next day ..... lol. But let them age for a year, and the deer simply see them as a harmless blow-down. I may add a little brush during the September time frame just to seal up any holes. I could hold a barn-dance behind those things and the deer never see a thing. It's a great way to minimize exposure for drawing the bow.