New Crossbows

fasteddie

The Stryker Strykezone 380 at $749 was rated better than the Tenpoint Carbon Elite at $1699 . That was a surprise . The "Great Buy" is the Carbon Express Covert SLS at $599 and the least expensive bow , the Parker Tomahawk at $499 was rated 7th out of the 11 tested .

The SZ seems to be REAL popular. Some of these prices are insance, though.

At $1,700...I want that thing to be able to be passed down to my kids...like a quality rifle. Fat chance of an Xbow lasting 40-50 years +. Same with regular bows...crazy!

Id be careful with those Strike Zone bows, I have heard of quite a few problems with their safety and trigger systems. Their limbs apparently are prone to splintering as well.

I always take those magazine reviews with a grain of salt. If I believed Deer and Deer Hunting's reviews, Id think my Hoyt was a pile of crap and Mathews was the ONLY bow worth a damn. Oh wait, Mathews is one of their main sponsors....hmmmm...

• 4 weeks later...

The Stryker Strykezone 380 at $749 was rated better than the Tenpoint Carbon Elite at $1699 . That was a surprise . The "Great Buy" is the Carbon Express Covert SLS at $599 and the least expensive bow , the Parker Tomahawk at $499 was rated 7th out of the 11 tested .

The SZ380 & SZ350 are the best crossbows for the money. Wyvern is the place to buy them(any crossbow they stock, the best customer service and Daves knowledge is second to none!). The CX Covert SLS limbs are 185 LB draw, kinda loud. http://www.wyverncreations.com/

I read that article and disagree with it.... There are several Excalibur Crossbows that are great for under $800. that include the quiver, a good scope, rope cocking aid, 4 bolts, etc.

The only downside to Excaliburs is they need heavy weight limbs to achieve the speeds of the compound x-bows, that is why they are so loud... they are also very wide... but in their commercials they show that you can throw them out of your tree, drive over them with your truck, dry fire them... but really, who does any of this???

Id be careful with those Strike Zone bows, I have heard of quite a few problems with their safety and trigger systems. Their limbs apparently are prone to splintering as well.

I always take those magazine reviews with a grain of salt. If I believed Deer and Deer Hunting's reviews, Id think my Hoyt was a pile of crap and Mathews was the ONLY bow worth a damn. Oh wait, Mathews is one of their main sponsors....hmmmm...

Stryker had problems with their limbs when they first introduced the SZ's. The new Strykers have black limbs and they no longer have the problems, they changed the limbs. I had a SZ 380, I sold it to get a verticle, when I really started to miss it, I got the SZ350 and this is why...

The SZ350's limbs are 135 LB(SZ380 limbs are 160LB), that is 67.5 pounds to draw with a rope cocker, very easy to do in a treestand. I would not small game hunt with my SZ380, a 380 FPS bolt at a fox is sick! The bolt will end up in the next state! But I do small game hunt with the 350 and my bolts don't blow up on pass throughs like the 380's did. 135 LB limbs means less string, cable, bearing etc. wear.

The SZ's trigger is awesome! But you have to use the crossbow correctly, cock the crossbow and the first safety engages, then you manually put in the other safety, then load the bolt. The mistake is not using the second safety, loading the bolt without the second safety is rolling the dice, the trigger is sweet on this bow but loading the bolt can set it off. The SZ's are one of the quietest crossbows out there, they could easily sell for over $1000.00, that is why they are so popular.

The SZ's are very narrow and they are under 7 pounds too!

Edited by TheFieldArcher

My Excalibur Vortex is 6.3lbs, shoots 330fps. If you bust a string on a hunting trip, you just put a new one on yourself. If you bust a string on a compound crossbow, you need to get to a bow press/bow shop.

The Excalibur Vortex draw weight is 200 pounds! 200 pounds to get 330FPS (SZ350 is 135 LBS @ 350 FPS) and 200 pounds going off is loud! I am not a Stryker staff guy and I have never been given aything from Stryker, I just think when you compare them to the others, they do it with less physical weight, they do it with less draw weight and they did have growing pains that they did take care of... the Stryker could sell for hundreds more and still be a great bow for the money!

To each their own. I am very happy with my Excalibur. Like I said, "If you bust a string on a hunting trip, you just put a new one on yourself. If you bust a string on a compound crossbow, you need to get to a bow press/bow shop."

To each their own. I am very happy with my Excalibur. Like I said, "If you bust a string on a hunting trip, you just put a new one on yourself. If you bust a string on a compound crossbow, you need to get to a bow press/bow shop."

The string thing, I don't see that being an issue. I have been bow hunting over 30 years and been on a good number of hunting trips and I never popped a bow string. Is it because Excaliburs eat strings? Serving wears quick from the 200 pound limbs?

Haha, yea ok. Strings can last 5+ years without problem. I haven't traveled with my crossbow yet, but I have walked through really heavy stuff with it. I'm just saying it would suck to be up in remote Canada on a $5K deer hunt and your walking through heavy brush and something catches on your string and it snaps or something. Then what?

That was my only point. I have honestly never heard of Stryker. Maybe they make great xbows. I have no idea and will never find out because I am happy with mine so I have no reason to do research on them.

i was shooting my Excal 2 years or so ago on my back deck, somehow i forgot to load an arrow on the thing and when i shot it made a God aweful whack sound which almost made me crap my draws. there i sat holding my crossbow with the string just dangling from the tip of the right limb thinking well this is the end of this crossbow. i carefully examined the limbs and string and to my amazment all looked fine. i put the string back on and the old excal has been fine ever since. those things are so tough the can double as a pickaxe.

i was shooting my Excal 2 years or so ago on my back deck, somehow i forgot to load an arrow on the thing and when i shot it made a God aweful whack sound which almost made me crap my draws. there i sat holding my crossbow with the string just dangling from the tip of the right limb thinking well this is the end of this crossbow. i carefully examined the limbs and string and to my amazment all looked fine. i put the string back on and the old excal has been fine ever since. those things are so tough the can double as a pickaxe.

"crap your drawers" ? You would have to change your user name to Sha-zitts In Pants ! B) :cool:

"double as a pickaxe" ? How about a boat anchor ? :spiteful: .... :girlcrazy:

Haha, yea ok. Strings can last 5+ years without problem. I haven't traveled with my crossbow yet, but I have walked through really heavy stuff with it. I'm just saying it would suck to be up in remote Canada on a $5K deer hunt and your walking through heavy brush and something catches on your string and it snaps or something. Then what?

That was my only point. I have honestly never heard of Stryker. Maybe they make great xbows. I have no idea and will never find out because I am happy with mine so I have no reason to do research on them.

Stryker is Bowtech

like you said, to each their own... I still think the string is a non issue and worrying about a string breaking and the chances of that happening are as good as your plane crashing going to Canada on that deer hunt!