Not going to believe this....

As some of you know, I'm gonig to Africa in 4 weeks for my honeymoon/safari... Donig some plains game hunting... So I've been shooting my T/C Pro Hunter 30-06 every weekend.... Well this past Saturday... While shooting it I make one last adjustment... 1/2" down to be at 2" high at 100.... Well... I make the adjustment.. smiling away.... I sit down to take the next round... look into my Swift Premier scope and the internal lens are cracked....... So I now had to fly to Cabelas in Ct. to buy another scope (Nikon with the BDC), mount it and get it sighted in... I know I have 3 weekends basically.. but still Glad it happened now.. going to contact Swift and find out if they cover the scope... But wow... Hope nothing else goes wrong later... Anyone else ever have that happen???

You'd think that would be a possibility on a .338 ,.416 rigby or other really heavy caliber, but that shouldnt be happening with an 06

You never know with any scope. A 12ga pounds as bad as almost anything else, including the above noted chamberings.

I've never zooked a Leupold, yet. I'll stick with them unless I make a huge used score that I can't pass up.

I agree with Lawdwaz.. Buy a Leupold..End of worries...

No one EVER takes my advice on scopes because they all think they need a high power variable, HOWEVER, I will say once again, there are no BIG GAME applications within the range of most non magnum calibers ( like the 30-06).. We are talking 400 yards here...That cannot be efficiently handled with a QUALITY 4X or 6X fixed power scope ...<< Did I mention LEUPOLD..??>>....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Could it be possible when the scope was mounted it was tweeked when tightend down? I have heard of this and had it happen to me once before I knew better. Slapping a scope on a gun and just torquing down the clamps can cause damage. Look at it this way, you put a tire on a car and tighten one nut and then go to the next and tighten that one down without wobbling down the road after. Not saying this is what happened but a possibility. You scope could have been fine but that last 1/2 adjustment was more than the lens could bear if the scope was tweeked. Another way to look at it is you mount the scope on the gun, crank down the bolts on the front, without knowing it pitched the rear of the scope upward slightly, now you move to the rear clamp and you tighten that down. It essentially bends the scope in place tweeking it.

Edited by wdswtr

Fortunately I have never had a scope problem. I am a Leupold fan as well, although I do have a Zeiss conquest (back when they were $400) that is clearer than my Leupold's.

Best of luck on your trip! Will you be taking another scoped rifle with you as a back up? I would imagine the outfitter has one or more you could use if some thing happened to your rifle.

You should buy another to take as a back up to the Nikon. Sight it in and then take it off, knowing it is close in case you have to swap it out and do a quick sight in rather than starting from scratch. Have fun.

This is great advice.

I've always used a Nikon for spares on trips; usually they end up with guide/PH if they want them as part of their tip.

YMMV

Trust me.. I've put hundreds of rounds through this gun/scope combo.. took a great deer in Alabama with it at 286 yards... No clue what happened.. I emailed the company this morning to see how they want to handle this... Thanks for all the advice...