Walk-In cooler/freezer

for that price you should be able to buy one. Are you butchering for other people too? I just use a stand up freezer. Good luck with your build and post pics!

I'm not building one yet, just saw the article and thought others may get some ideas. With the cost of insulation so high buying a "real one" may be a valid alternative.

I had an old beer cooler given to me. The kind the bars used to have with the three push back doors on the top 6 foot long. It keeps temps down in the 30's if needed. I figure I can fit three deer in there if I had to. I put one in there last year for a few days when it was warm. Just next time I will cut legs off at knees. Once rigor set in had a tussel getting the deer out with the two cross supports for the lids. Also seconds as a beverage cooler if having a big party.

I had started a closet sized deer cooler in the garage, it is all insulated with an insulated steel door just never got the how to cool it figured out when the bar cooler was given to me.

Edited by Fletch

I torn with the idea of either building a exterior walk in cooler or a root cellar. The average temp of the root cellar is 50 degrees and would only have to be cooled 10 or so degrees for deer storage. Bagging and ice in the cavity would store for a few days. The best part, it cooled naturally. It also could be used for storage of fruits and vegies year round. The only question is how good would the meat be in one?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Here is a link I found a month or so go...http://www.storeitcold.com/

There is a lot of really useful information on this website. The Coolbot is a great idea, and if you are serious about making a walk in cooler, this is the way to go! I have plans to build one at some point this fall/winter and will be ordering one when I'm ready. Check it out.

Here is my father inlaws thaught.Build a 8x8 building from osb sheathing and 2x4's go to local metal supply and get supply's to wrap with/sheet tin/metal.Then take 2 window ac units of 10-15 thousand btu's and insulate with pink/blue foam board and seal inside with same metal as outer shell and foil tape.This sounded so great baught material and going to take to his house and let him build it and see if it work's.Will post pic's very soon.Not sure if it will be cold enogh to freeze but will be cold enough so meat wont spoil.If this dont work still will have a great hanging area.

Edited by Dom

Here is my father inlaws thaught.Build a 8x8 building from osb sheathing and 2x4's go to local metal supply and get supply's to wrap with/sheet tin/metal.Then take 2 window ac units of 10-15 thousand btu's and insulate with pink/blue foam board and seal inside with same metal as outer shell and foil tape.This sounded so great baught material and going to take to his house and let him build it and see if it work's.Will post pic's very soon.Not sure if it will be cold enogh to freeze but will be cold enough so meat wont spoil.If this dont work still will have a great hanging area.

Your probably going to need a controller to get the AC temp below the preset 60 degrees, there quite reasonable and can be found here...http://www.ebay.com/...3#ht_4189wt_982 Edited by jr.deerslayer