Why Go Camping

Doc

It is interesting to read how the definition of the term "camping" varies from person to person. In my mind if you have a cabin roof over your head it isn't the same as someone who sleeps in a tent that could be blown away at any time. In my mind the tent is closer to what the term "camping" should mean.

Yeah they should probably change the term for the rustic building in the woods with no water, electricity, and an outhouse (camp) to something else... Maybe Camp Lejeune too.. not many tents there anymore... Maybe even tear down those boyscout camps that only have cabins. :banghead:

Edited by nyantler

Yeah they should probably change the term for the rustic building in the woods with no water, electricity, and an outhouse (camp) to something else... Maybe Camp Lejeune too.. not many tents there anymore... Maybe even tear down those boyscout camps that only have cabins. :banghead:

Sorry that you took this one personally, but having a cabin roof over your head even if it doesn't have water or electricity and no matter how primitive is a whole different ballgame compared to carrying or flying in a tent and a limited amount of gear that one needs to survive the elements. I know I would prefer the cabin any day of the week, but at the same time have to give the "toughing it out" award to the guys with the tents. They are more worthy of it. To me that is true definition of "camping".

I've canoed the Yukon river (amoung many other remote ones) and pulled a 24 foot Sunline RV to Fairhaven State Park and camped every way in between.

Some for adventure some for great family memories. As for the RV thing,NO clocks, no set meal time,games,fishing ,hiking,going to the beach do what you want when you want.

It seemed like the only time my kids could be free to be kids.

Sorry that you took this one personally, but having a cabin roof over your head even if it doesn't have water or electricity and no matter how primitive is a whole different ballgame compared to carrying or flying in a tent and a limited amount of gear that one needs to survive the elements. I know I would prefer the cabin any day of the week, but at the same time have to give the "toughing it out" award to the guys with the tents. They are more worthy of it. To me that is true definition of "camping".

I didn't take it personally, I do both kinds of "camping". But if we're going to split hairs about camping then my definition of hunting is not waiting in a treestand for an animal to show up.. but actually going out and looking for one... seems like a similar analogy. Tracking a deer for miles or even days takes a little more effort.. the other is just relaxing until something happens and is not actually "hunting". If you don't agree then maybe you should rethink your camping definition.

Edited by nyantler

I camp to escape reality and spend time with family and friends. Camping to me is anything from nothing but a tent and a fire pit to going to a cabin for a few days. As long as there is a fire and family and friends it is camping.

My newest idea of campingpost-2422-134637128689_thumb.jpgpost-2422-134637130995_thumb.jpg right next to 22,000 acres of state land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I do quite a bit of camping in the spring of the year when I can't make it home before dark after a long days hike.

No tent, no camper, no sleeping bag, just a pack of smokes and whatever snacks I packed with me...... now that I think about it, by some folks standards, maybe I'm just sleeping in the woods,lol

I do quite a bit of camping in the spring of the year when I can't make it home before dark after a long days hike.

No tent, no camper, no sleeping bag, just a pack of smokes and whatever snacks I packed with me...... now that I think about it, by some folks standards, maybe I'm just sleeping in the woods,lol

I think you need a tent to consider it camping... without the tent it's just loitering..LOL

I went off a bit on getting out of town and the noise but it's true.

Been camping one way or another since I was a kid. Can remember a friend of mine and I took off on our bikes with pbj's, juice and a tarp - got 'lost' for two days. Mom's were piiiised, .. seemed like a good idea at the time. His mom liked to wear a loose sweatshirt on cold days, ahh the memories.

Why go camping, got a counter question - why wouldn't you go?

If it's what your into and you like being in the woods or by a lake, frackin swamp, what ever, go. In the end this isn't a quest of fame. I like to share ideas and talk about it because, just because. On that note I will say someone parking their 30k+ trailer at a koa or park grounds and plugging in is - not my cup of tea, just don't get that.

noahmstone; nice spread.

I grew up taking camping trips (tent/small trailer) with my family at various state and private campgrounds across the state. I have nothing but great memories of the quality time spend with my parents and brother. We got to see quite a bit of what the state has to offer, with the cheap cost a bonus.

Just recently my wife and I took our first camping trip with our baby girl who is 20 months old. We did a full week in the tent up in the catskills (mongaup Pond). I won't say it was a mistake, however, with the baby, it was just too much work, for too many days. It really never felt much like a vacation. When we got home, we still agreed that family camping is great, but think we should wait a few years for our current kid, and our next one, to be at least 4 years old or so.

It was our first time to Mongaup Pond, and while we thought the place was ok, I think there are much better options in NYS. Fishing wasnt too good, hiking wasn't anything special, no playground for the baby, felt like forest rangers were literally spying on us the whole time, etc.

I frequent mongaup pond and find it a good campground, but hunting is not allowed. Saw a fawn come into our site a few weeks ago.

My family tent camped at Beaverkill starting in the 40's. Big army surplus tents and cots. I tent camped from NYS to Maryland in the 70's. Quit when I got multi-ticked in Maryland and discovered Ocean City. Its hard, dirty but a lot of fun. Raccoons make it interesting. Arguing with my cousins husband about whther yoou could cook fried eggs over a wood fire. Like people didn't cook until a stove was invented. One thing I noticed about camping, you can be in the longest running drought in earth's history but as soon as you start setting up a tent it will rain.