cross bow question on drawing

sweet old bill

I see most of the cross bow have a peak weight of 150 lbs, 165 lbs or 180 lbs.... can you tell me how hard is it to draw and cock a cross bow with a rope drawing tool or do you have to order a model with the internal drawing feature ? the 2nd stupid question is I have some 2219 and 2412 arrows that are new and full length if I cut them down to what ever the bolt is on a compound bow that I purchase, could these be used. Is there a easton chart on bolt, also there seems to be different nocks on some of the bolts, what are the different ? Is there in the Oneonta area a bow shop that has some cross bows that you would recommend so I could try them out. I am 70 years young and sure do not want to buy one and find I can not use it. I have a buddy in PA, purchased the highest priced PSE cross bow, over $1000 + dollars and the thing is a piece of junk.

I don't know anything about them but as for the arrows / bolts , any that I have seen do not have a nok per se , they have a type of nok that is slanted and doesn't appear to snap on the string . You might be able to purchase the correct tpe noks to fit your shafts .

I see most of the cross bow have a peak weight of 150 lbs, 165 lbs or 180 lbs.... can you tell me how hard is it to draw and cock a cross bow with a rope drawing tool or do you have to order a model with the internal drawing feature ? the 2nd stupid question is I have some 2219 and 2412 arrows that are new and full length if I cut them down to what ever the bolt is on a compound bow that I purchase, could these be used. Is there a easton chart on bolt, also there seems to be different nocks on some of the bolts, what are the different ? Is there in the Oneonta area a bow shop that has some cross bows that you would recommend so I could try them out. I am 70 years young and sure do not want to buy one and find I can not use it. I have a buddy in PA, purchased the highest priced PSE cross bow, over $1000 + dollars and the thing is a piece of junk.

your gonna want a rope cocker, if that doesnt cut it then some kind of crank, which is usuakky built into the buttstock. but most guys can pull them pretty easily with a rope cocker.

as far as cutting aluminum arrows, be carefull because poundage and spine are a big issue with crossbows. it is much simpler to use the manufactures recommended arrow. if you really wanna use those aluminums you will have to see what arrow the manufacture recommends or what the crossbow comes with, get the specs on shaft diameter which is very crucial, so the string doesnt jump the shaft on release. and the other biggie is spine. after you do this you might find out it will add weight to your arrow using aluminum of the same spine which you dont really wanna do anyway. it gets tricky, and mistakes with arrow selection when it comes to a crossbow can be very bad for you and the crossbow.

when it comes to nocks, once again use what the manufacture recommends, some insist on half moons and others want you to use flats. half moons have to be place in the crossbow so the string sits right in the groove of the half moon.

as far as that 1000 dollar PSE your buddy bought you can do better than that by going on archerytalk.com and looking at the classifieds or getting a sale at a big box store like cabelas...

Swt Old Bill...my new cross bow is 175#...I'm a 54 yr old woman with a bad back...I had no problem using a rope cocking devise as long as I was concentrating....but the moment I lost the concentration(swamped by blk flies)I pulled all my lower back muscles.....until then it was a matter of adjusting the proper rope length for me and making sure that I used the muscle in my ARMS not back to draw....all these videos of guys hooking On the string and standing upright...ya..very miss leading...get some hand weights and start your curls you should have no problems with 150# draw...read up arrow speed has a lot to do with not just draw weight but the power stroke...high # in that usually high speeds

Look at Wicked Ridge packages. Some of them have crank packages and the brand is a good one.

My 64 year old FIL is a weakling(no offense)and he is cocking his 150lbs bow with a rope.

Edited by phade

thanks all I am shooting a compound at 60 lbs each day and am thinking as I get older and or NY goes to crossbow in the bow season to at that time to get one as a backup to my currrent bow. I sure think I would love to try one for the coyotes in our area. thanks for the tips on a rope and it ease of use. I look in archery talk for the wicked ride crossbow line and they sure do seem to have a middle of the road with high reviews of there quality and a good price on there products...

The rope-cocking aid cuts the weight in half. 200lb xbow becomes 100lbs. Its like deadlifting. I can cock my xbow without the aid, but the rope-cocking aid makes sure you are cocking the string straight. If off to the side a little, it wont shoot accurate.

Excalibur's make great crossbows, You can get them at 150lb, 175lb, 200lb, 225lb(not legal in NY).