KOA

Paula

We camped at KOA campsites a lot when the kids were small . Years ago . The sites were basically the same with clean bathrooms , showers and generally had a small store on site where prices were reasonable .

Not sure how safe any campsite would be for a lone woman ...........

I am going to NC, stopping in KY first.

Your a smart woman so should be no problem...that said...going South...I'd at least have a couple of blades that open and lock with a flip of the wrist close by at all times...better safe than sorry... ;) ...Have fun on the trip...We have a couple of KOA near us and I've camped in them across the country...nice places

I have only stayed at KOAs in NY but they are usually the standard other campgrounds strive for. First get a KOA card from a local one so you can get a 10% discount on your first stay but get it the year you are travelling. They are kind of pricey because they are geared more for RVs with hookups at most sites and not much of a discount if you are tenting it. You might want to look into their Kamping Kabins basicaly a small cabin with beds. You bring sheets or sleeping bag. A little more money but more security than a tent. I don't think it's a problem to bring along a rifle or shotgun for saftey. Be careful at rest areas too.

My only thought on the camping was for maybe for something different and save some money this trip. i would only be doing a camp ground 2 or 3 nights. but my husband wants me to take his dry rotted tent he hasn't used in maybe 30 yrs. and his sleeping bag that has no bag to it. i see the bag coming undone and dragging behind bike now....way to save money. :negative:

maybe i am not ready for the something different part, not sure how i would do one the hard ground with bugs. not sure which is worse hotel/motel bed bugs?

KOA's rock! Stayed at different locations just last month. In my opinion you have no reason to worry about your safety (especially if you're packing heat). , They're filled with families on vacation having a good time. Figure out where you want to stay and check their website, how expensive could it be tenting it. Go and enjoy.