need some help from the big dawgs......

tughillhunter

I do not consider myself a big dawg, but, I own one in an encore. IMHO it is absolutely the best deer caliber around. I have also heard nothing but good things about the cva scout. If you reload let me know. I have lots of good loads for you to try.

Not much it won't do in the lower 48. 120gr or 140gr pills, u pick!

I have had one for about 5 years and am a big fan. I've only shot a few deer and some woodchucks with mine, all 120gr handloads. The deer were shot with Barnes TSX bullets. This year, it'll will be the very stout 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip that shoot like a house-O-fire. Nothing wrong with the TSX, I just enjoy tinkering.

The 120gr bullet at close to 3000fps will get the attention from any deer or bear found in NYS!

The 260rem, 257Roberts and 243Win are all great chamberings also but the 7mm-08 is top of the heap, IMO.

Buy it, post pics and shoot!!

You can't go wrong with any 7mm. Everyone I know we shoots a 7mm-08 today sings nothing but praises for it as the perfect deer rifle. (I shot a 7mm Mag. for some years, and liked the range of bullets offered for the 7mm's, but the Magnum always seemed a bit much for Eastern deer for me.) I'm a big fan of the 6mm Rem. & .257 Roberts today, but a 7mm is a great bullet diameter that offers both good B.C. & S.D. in a large variety of bullet weights.

I switched to a 7mm-08 last year ( Ruger M-77 lefty) and I love it. I took a buck with it at about 80 yards or so, and he pretty much folded right up. It's real accurate, with plain Remington factory 140 grainers, and has a light recoil .

If you can get it at a good price grab it. Im sure you'll be happy with it.

The 7mm08 has been called the perfect whitetail cartridge..

It has been my favorite deer cartridge for the last 15 years or so.

It seems to kill as well as the .270, .280, or the 30-06, with considerably less recoil and muzzle blast.

It's extremely accurate, and capable of 300 yard PLUS shots...

What's not to like ?

My Kimber 84M Montana in 7mm-08 is now 6 years old and has become my favorite deer rifle. I've owned many different deer rifles over the years, but none have given me the absolute confidence and enjoyment that this one has. I've taken 8 deer with it and every one of them has dropped right where it was standing with one shot using 140 gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tip cartridges.

When loaded in the 7mm-08, the Supreme Ballistic Tips are designed for controlled expansion in deer. They are not the light jacket varmint bullets that come in the varmint rounds. Everyone has fully penetrated the deer and I have yet to recover one to examine after the kill. They also give me great accuracy in my Kimber.

IMHO, the 7mm-08 is the best Whitetail round ever devised. The recoil is also a lot less than most other popular deer rounds, which probably adds to it reputation for great accuracy.