NYC Hunters?!

LorenzoD

And then you could have made another order buying fifty 10 round mags, and twenty 30 round mags and they would never know about it. The NYC laws are just a money making scheme for NYC and nothing more. Believe it or not, long gun registration has been in effect since the late 60's in NYC. Just mind boggling how the NRA, or anyone else hasn't challenged the constitutionality of these laws. They only make it hard for the law abiding people to get guns and do JACK to prevent crime. Of course the clowns like Bloomberg and Kelly will tell you that they are stopping criminals. BS! I can't get over Kelly gloating over that terrorist they claim they caught yesterday. Another BS story. They practically spoonfed everything to this guy, and then they think they caught a major terrorist. What BS. The guy would have done $#!+ or gone nearly as far as he did without the help of the FBI, NYPD, etc. All a freaking sham just to once again pat themselves on the back.

I agree with the extensive background checks. I even agree with having to register each one of your firearms. I do not agree with all these ridicilous limitations they place. Yes, if the gun is legally or illegally owned, who cares if it has a 5 round capacity or not? I also don't agree with the outrageous cost. Makes it class bias. Those in the upperclass won't think twice about the money but the regular working class are hesitant to spend the cash. This is why I have not applied for a pistol license. Can't justify spending another $300+ on top of the $200 I already spend every few years to renew my license.

MZs don't need to be registered? Where is this stated.

NY State Penal Law, Section 265. Subsections 3 and 14 are relevant.

From section 3 (definitions), "Firearm does not include an antique firearm."

From section 14, " "Antique firearm" means: Any unloaded muzzle loading pistol or revolver with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system, or a pistol or revolver which uses fixed cartridges which are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

As long as its unloaded, its not a firearm and therefore does not need to be registered within NYC.

EDIT: I know that section specifically states pistols, I'm looking up to see if it states longarms specifically somewhere else or its just extrapolated from the pistol law. I do know for a fact though, that MZs do not need to be registered as long as they are never loaded within the city. However, as I mentioned, the powder is illegal if its not registered. Its mainly so that people who collect old guns don't have to register them.

Edited by Sogaard

NY State Penal Law, Section 265. Subsections 3 and 14 are relevant.

From section 3 (definitions), "Firearm does not include an antique firearm."

From section 14, " "Antique firearm" means: Any unloaded muzzle loading pistol or revolver with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system, or a pistol or revolver which uses fixed cartridges which are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

As long as its unloaded, its not a firearm and therefore does not need to be registered within NYC.

EDIT: I know that section specifically states pistols, I'm looking up to see if it states longarms specifically somewhere else or its just extrapolated from the pistol law. I do know for a fact though, that MZs do not need to be registered as long as they are never loaded within the city. However, as I mentioned, the powder is illegal if its not registered. Its mainly so that people who collect old guns don't have to register them.

Simply curious. I follow the law to the best of my ability. I'm planning on purchasing a muzzleloader and I'll send in the registration forms anyway. It'll only cost me 5 seconds to fill it out and $0.45 for the stamp. If the take the registration, they take the registration. If they toss out the form, makes no difference to me. Better safe and $0.45 poorer than sorry.

Can't justify spending another $300+ on top of the $200 I already spend every few years to renew my license.

Maybe a typo, but its $400+ for the pistol license.

I said the same thing about the money, but I saved up, and said to myself that I wouldn't be bullied or deterred by the price, or the process, or anything else they wanted to throw at me.

Are there any outdoor gun ranges anywhere within the NYC borders, or are they indoors? Does Rockland county have the same laws in place?

Clifford, NYC is the only place in NYS that requires a special permit to possess a long arm.

The range that I go to is Blue Mountain Sportsman Center. It's located just under an hour from the Bronx. Outdoor range.

Public outdoor ranges, yeah, LI is the way to go unless you live in the Bronx. Though they closed down the closest range to the city, so you'll be driving a good 1.5 hours to get to one.

There are some private outdoor ranges on Staten Island, but you need to be a member of a gun club.

Maybe a typo, but its $400+ for the pistol license.

I said the same thing about the money, but I saved up, and said to myself that I wouldn't be bullied or deterred by the price, or the process, or anything else they wanted to throw at me.

I was strictly referring to the renewal fees. If it was a one time fee, I would have no problem at all. It's great to have a pistol but I have been able to do everything I need to do so far with rifles so the pistol is more of a luxury rather than a necessity which is why I'm having a hard time justifying paying that amount every few years. If my financial situation changes, then I definitely would get it.

• 1 month later...

Wtf. I just called and they said the same thing. I bought a muzzleloader in August from cabelas. They didn't full out the registration papers. Told me 100% that it didn't need to be registered. I remember calling NYPD too. And last week I bought bullets without being asked for my rifle/shotgun permit. If I try to buy shotgun or rifle ammo they won't even let me look at them without showing my Permit

Honestly, I have no clue!!!!!! how anyone can live in NYC. Why would any man subject himself to live in that kind of tyranny, why do you tolerate it?

Sorry to offend a fellow hunter that lives in that _________.

Edited by JPP
  • Like 2

My take is that you don't need to register it if you're buying it to be displayed in a glass case thus "antique gun" but the moment you buy powder and projectile, it is no longer an antique gun but rather a firearm and must be registered.

JPP - The gun laws, traffic, crowd, and crime is a pain but there are so many other positives about the city that sometimes balances it out enough for people to want to stay. For others, there's job and family.

You DO NOT need to register a MZ in NYC if you never have powder/primers/bullets in your house. The law is written like that so collectors of old (pre 1900) guns do not need to register their firearms. I'm sure they want you to register them, but you do not need a permit to own one, and you can't register them without a permit.

That is the law, they can bitch all they want, its not illegal.

Cabela's WILL sell you a MZ without any sort of license check. I bought one at the Cabela's in PA on 11/23/12. No ID was asked for and there was no paperwork. However, they will not sell any other type of firearm without a NYC permit present (if your driver's license is from any of the 5 boroughs, obv).

I know. I didn't have to show any form of ID when I bought mine.

Problem is I keep powder with the muzzleloader and when I transport it to hunt with, I'll have powder with it as well. For me, I have a permit. Registration only cost me a 45 cent stamp so why won't I registered it?

• 1 month later...

Wow, I was not aware of this! It is frightening to see what is required in NYC to own a long gun. It seems the 2nd Amendment has been all but eradicated in NYC. The Democrats will probably try to make the whole state be like NYC. Gun of all sorts have always been available in the US homes in the past but senseless tragedies like Newtown were unheard of. Something must have changed. That something is the break-up of the family and the related breakdown of religion. As G. K. Chesterton said many years ago, "If the family breaks apart the whole society breaks apart." The influence of the family and religion has been minimized in our culture. The Democrats and liberals continue to damage the family and use government to usurp the role of the family. Then they pretend to wonder why bad things happen. In NY State a teenager can have an abortion without parental consent and without a waiting period yet a hunter has to get permission from the New York City Police department and undergo a long waiting period for a bird gun. In NY State the abortion rate is nearly twice the national average ( http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/sfaa/new_york.html). So its okay for lawmakers to promote the murder helpless unborn children in a goverment sanctioned abortion clinic. but when 20 children are killed in Newtown they blame the guns not their laws which eliminate and destroy the family! .People today are taught that they are entitled to have everything and have it their way, when they don't get it they resort to violence. Their are no restrictions on violent media which have been shown to be a factor in violence when children have anger related mental issues. All the gun control in the world won't stop the sort of violence we have experienced. Parents kill over 1.25 million innocent offspring every year in this country alone. Our culture of violence begins with abortion. Instead of taking guns from law abiding citizens maybe our government officials should be encouraging family values in our schools, supporting traditional marriage and marital fidelity and admit the importance of our children believeing in a moral code based on something bigger than themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I was not aware of this! It is frightening to see what is required in NYC to own a long gun. It seems the 2nd Amendment has been all but eradicated in NYC. The Democrats will probably try to make the whole state be like NYC. Gun of all sorts have always been available in the US homes in the past but senseless tragedies like Newtown were unheard of. Something must have changed. That something is the break-up of the family and the related breakdown of religion. As G. K. Chesterton said many years ago, "If the family breaks apart the whole society breaks apart." The influence of the family and religion has been minimized in our culture. The Democrats and liberals continue to damage the family and use government to usurp the role of the family. Then they pretend to wonder why bad things happen. In NY State a teenager can have an abortion without parental consent and without a waiting period yet a hunter has to get permission from the New York City Police department and undergo a long waiting period for a bird gun. In NY State the abortion rate is nearly twice the national average ( http://www.guttmache...a/new_york.html). So its okay for lawmakers to promote the murder helpless unborn children in a goverment sanctioned abortion clinic. but when 20 children are killed in Newtown they blame the guns not their laws which eliminate and destroy the family! .People today are taught that they are entitled to have everything and have it their way, when they don't get it they resort to violence. Their are no restrictions on violent media which have been shown to be a factor in violence when children have anger related mental issues. All the gun control in the world won't stop the sort of violence we have experienced. Parents kill over 1.25 million innocent offspring every year in this country alone. Our culture of violence begins with abortion. Instead of taking guns from law abiding citizens maybe our government officials should be encouraging family values in our schools, supporting traditional marriage and marital fidelity and admit the importance of our children believeing in a moral code based on something bigger than themselves.

They NEVER would acomplish that... I for one pledge to NEVER let this whole state become as bad as NYC!!!!

I TOTALY AGREE!!!!!

So---with all the NYC gun laws described above --there must be no illegal weapons in the city, hence no gun crime. Right?

Uhhuh!

yup there is ZERO crime in NYC... LOL total BS

• 7 months later...

Do not worry. I am not about to start trash talk. I was actually wondering about the problems for hunters living in New York City. Yes, it is true! I actually Googled the topic.  

I live in Tennessee and I can pretty much walk to Wal-Mart, do the background check thing and buy a rifle or shotgun, THAT DAY. I was amazed seeing the description from Young Padawan about what it takes to own a gun in NYC. We never hear of the process to buying a gun. Do you have to have some certification about firearm storage? What about apartment managers? 

LorenzoD, don't get discouraged about the worse-than-DMV red tape. Hunting is worth the effort and expense (WOW! $300 for a permit to own a shotgun!) I know nothing about hunting in New York, but just getting into the woods is a great experience. Good luck in your hunting!

No certification for storage needed.  License will allow you to possess and store.  The $300 is broken down to $150 (or so, don't remember) for a 3 year license (must pay that fee every 3 years) and the rest is a one time finger print and processing fee.

The licensing process is a thorough process.  You must essentially show proof that you are a stable individual.  You also have to sign over a lot of legal documentation such as consent from everyone who will be living with you that they're okay with you having these firearms in the house and a guardian who will take responsibility of the firearms if something were to happen to you.  Also signing a bunch of "yes, I read this rule so I can't plead ignorance in court" type of papers, etc.

Once you receive your license, then you can pretty much walk into Wal-Mart and purchase freely but right after you purchase, you must register what you bought with the NYPD via mail.  They'll approve your registration so as long as the firearm meets their ridiculously strict rules as to what you can and cannot own.

The initial steps is a ton of work but once you have the license, it becomes routine.  I buy something, fill out a form, mail it in.  I'm not trying to make it seem fair but I don't think people who are stuck in NYC should be discouraged about owning a firearm.  It is not impossible.

[EDIT] PS:  To answer the specific question as far as certificate of storage, one of the "yes, I read this rule so I can't plead ignorance in court" papers is about proper safe storage.

Edited by Elmo