Anyone have or use a 338-06

Grizz1219

It is an excellent medium caliber round, quite similar in performance to the .35 Whelen.

With 200, 225 or 250 grain bullets it is capable of taking medium to heavy game animals out to 300 yards.

It is best as handloader's cartridge..Not a big selection of factory loads out there.

Always liked the numbers on this wildcat. Weatherby even chambered this round in their Mark V action some years ago trying to breath some life into it. I was tempted to get one of their lightweight versions when they came out but I never progressed on that thought.

I think there are better .33 caliber bullets out there (thanks to the merits of the .338 Win. Mag,) vs. the selection of bullets for the .35 calibers should you handload for this.

There is still some factory Weatherby A-Square ammo loaded with Nosler bullets floating around for sale but it's not cheap.

Just my $.02.

Edited by Setters4life

One round you might consider..Although I doubt the Encore offers it..

The 9.3 x 62... It is a legendary chambering in Africa..Kind of a poor man's .375 H&H..

Works great on all plains game out to 300 yards or so. It also is considered adequate for cape buffalo with 286 or 320 grain bullets...Recoil is simialr to a 30-06 with heavy bullets..There is a reasonable variety of factory loads available, and reloading components are readily available...I bought one a few years ago to replace my .338 Win mag, which kicked the snot out of me...It has worked great on the few animals I shot with it, a bull moose, a couple of caribou, a couple of whitetails and a coyote..And it beats me up much less than that old .338 Win Mag Ruger 77 used to.. It is also one of my most accurate rifles. With Barnes X 250 grainers it prints 1/2" groups at 100 yards..