Where are all the squirrels????

Went to 2 different WMAs today with the family to do some squirrel hunting. We started at Cranberry Mountain WMA in Putnum County. After a long time of hiking the trails looking up, down and all around we finally saw one on the trail. He disappeared under the brush not to be seen again. We continued hiking and didn't see another one. We decided to call it quits and take a drive to Gander Mountain in Middletown. After some shopping we went to Bashakill WMA in Sullivan County. Not a squirrel to be found. We did see chipmunks, salamanders and frogs. Oh did I mention as we left both areas we saw squirrels running in the street. I swear I heard them laughing at us.

I check the floor for freshly chewed up acorns or beechnuts. I don't rely so much on nest because they're not usually active at their nest. When they're at their nest, they're basically sleeping for the night. I find better luck at their feeding area. Look for half eaten acorns that are flesh wet and fleshy in the middle. Then sit off to the side somewhere (Don't sit directly under their feeding spot and with your back to a tree as Muthers suggest so squirrels behind you can't see you) and stay completely quiet for 15 to 20 minutes.

Squirrels generally feed twice a day. An hour or so after sunrise and an hour or two before sundown. During those times is when you'll find the most activity. During the fall, you will see squirrels throughout the day because their basically rushing to fatten themselves up for the winter but still, at a hot spot, you will see maybe 2 squirrels the whole day and all of a sudden, 4:30-5:30 rolls around and you'll see 5 or 6 running around all at once.

Like Elmo said, prime time is right after daylight & right before dusk.

Get up against a big tree if possible, and remove the orange (provided you feel safe).

A shotgun blast will put them on edge a lot more than a .22 crack will.

I try not to sit in the same spot too often, they will pattern you. Move in SLOOOOWWWW motion when you put your gun up to shoot.

Click a couple quarters together, this imitates the sound of them feeding. Doesn't always work, but worth a try.

Good luck!

We went to the pond the other way and then down the trail that dead ended. We wanted to do the loop that goes south and then comes out at the field but the map from the DEC site was kinda confusing and didn't really match what we were seeing.

I explored the area quite a bit before I looked at a map so it makes sense now but my first time I walked around for hours not sure where the hell I was. If you make your way off the island again another place to try is the great swamp. When you come up 22 instead of making that right at Thunder ridge go past it and make left towards Patterson. Once you get into town make the first left as soon you cross the railroad tracks. You drive past the train station and at the second stop sign make a left and cross the tracks again. You can park there and walk around. They have maps as soon as you pull in bu there aren't trails. This also a great spot to launch a canoe and pick it up down by green chimneys if your into that sort of thing.

A man, Bob, and his friend Joe went out hunting. This was Joe's first time ever hunting, so he was following Bob's lead. Bob saw a small herd of deer and told Joe to stay in the exact spot he was and to be quiet.

After a few minutes, Bob heard a loud scream. He ran back and asked Joe what had happened. Joe said “There was this snake and he slittered across my feet, but I never screamed. Then there was this bear that came up to me and snarled, but I never screamed.”

“So then what did make you scream,” Bob asked, exasperated.

“Well,” Joe continued, “two squirells crawled up my pants and I overheard them say, ‘Should we take them home or eat 'em now?’

• Like 5

Try walking slow along the path up to the right and take all the way down back behind the big pond and out towards thunder ridge. They spook easy up there but if you sit they come out.

Here's the answer for Cranberry...get to the backside of the WMA and pull up some log and wait. Before long you won't know which one to shoot first.

There's a lot of well worn paths through cranberry that I walk REAL SLOW and often jus catch a tail flashing around...by the way...any pheasants released there this year?

I don't think they have dropped any birds, I pushed the edges of the fields with a friend and then down in the swamp and out around the jeep trails. Not only did I not kick out any birds. The guys with dogs didn't kick any out and I only heard a 2 shots all morning. I didn't even see any feathers where birds had gotten whacked or snatched up by a coyote. Being the first week I there usually is more sign, So my guess is no. It was pretty overgrown on the trails as well. I don't think they mowed anything out there this year

I have seen plenty of squirrels this past week in Geneseo and Groveland while bow hunting . The little Varmints are out all day long . In 18 years of bow hunting I have only encountered one squirrel hunter . I'm guessing not many people hunt them but I really don't know that for sure .

A guy that was a year ahead om me in school used to hunt squirrels for food with a 306 cal rifle . He would shoot them when they were on the tree trunk by barking them ( hitting the tree next to their head ) . He would then walk over pick them up and wring their neck . It was the only gun the family had .

• Like 1