NY Reloaders I need your advice.....

bushnell

Ok I am going to start reloading my own ammo, ie (.280, 40 cal, .270 etc.). I am going to purchase the Redding Big Boss Pro Pac which comes with Press, Powder and bullet scale, powder trickler, pad style case lube kit, deburring tool, case preparation kit, powder funnel and Hogodon Reloading manual. I am also going to purchase the dies that I need from Redding and the shell holders and the powder measure.

Just wondering if there is anything else that is a must to get started i.e. tumbler or ultra sonic case cleaner (which do you prefer). Looking for any information or tools that you have that may be helpful.

Thanks,

Bushnell

I am not familiar with that press. I use the Lee Turret. All teh processes are set on a turret and you can switch calibers (fully calibrated ) in a mater of a couple minute.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

How does that Redding press PRIME the case?

I like using a digital scale but verify each set up with my balance scale

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

Tumpler I use is http://www.midwayusa.com/product/286322/lyman-turbo-twin-case-tumbler-110-volt

Reloading trays for the calibers you want to load - especially since you are using a single stage press

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/536734/frankford-arsenal-perfect-fit-reloading-tray-5-22-250-remington-243-winchester-308-winchester-50-round-blue

I load all my rifle rounds in single stage setting on the Leee anyway but the turret sure is nicer for pistol rounds. If you shoot alot of the 40 you may want to look at a differnt set up. (FYI once set up I can run 150 .357 magnum rounds out of the Lee in an hour)

OH----bullet puller I use the hammer style.

I had some 44 mag reloads that required disassembly and put them in the Dud box at the range . Had to wait 3 months for RCBS to get off their ass and send any bullet pullers to the store . I have had it for a year and havn't opened the package yet as I havn't needed it . If I didn't have one , I would neeed the darned thing !

• Like 1

To prime the case you have to manually feed it into an arm on the front of the press.

No the case preparation kit does not come with a case trimmer. Luckily for me I have saved my rifle brass so I have over 200 rounds of my .280 brass. As for my 40 cal brass I will just have to wait til the dept goes to the range again then I will get a good supply.

Culver- I was looking at that tumbler on Midway earlier today before I posted here. I saw a lot of good reviews and some that made me shy away. People complained about the plastic tub cracking. I guess nothing a little epoxy probably couldn't fix. What kind of media are you using in it? How long do you run the tumbler?

I have had very good results with crushed walnut. I bought untreated and actually add about a half teaspoon of Brasso brass polish in to it. It is cheaper than buying treated media and does a great job. Not problem with my bowls. The smaller one for small batches is really thick. I cant imagine that cracking. I like the vibrator as opposed to the tumbler because i let it run as i remove brass and tip them neck down and touch them to either the threaded stem or the bowl and any hung media pops right out. I tumble before i deprime so the depriming makes sure the primer hole is clear of any media. Did you already by the Redding or are you still looking?

I'd be lost without my chrongraph. Didn't have one until about 5 years ago and now all work up work is done over the screens looking for velocity and looking trying to find a balance between speed & accuracy.

The only scale I use is a balance beam. I weigh all my charges except when loading for the 223 Improved. My RCBS powder measure is set up for 29.5 grains and throws a very consistent load of H335 each time.

With the balance beam scale, I can weigh and charge about 2-3 cases a minute. Usually I'm loading 50 rounds per session.

I have a Sinclair case trimmer that I like. Others will get the job done too. The Hornady OAL gauge & Headspace tool are also worth the money.

A good hand primer tool is cheap & worth it. Did you mention a caliper? I wouldn't get a digital one unless it has an automatic shutoff. (you'll go broke with buying batteries)

Ammo boxes? Plastic MtM style work for me.

Yes I am planning on buying a digital caliper and some ammo boxes. I was thinking about a hand primer but will pass on that until I save up a little more money. My intentions are buying a shotgun press next year so I will probably buy the hand primer then.

The chronograph will come with time.

Great info guys keep it coming thanks.

Part of the reason I like a hand primer (Lee or RCBS type) is so I can have a better feel on how things are sliding into place. With a press mounted primer you have to really take it slow.

ALWAYS wear safety glasses when priming.

Check and see if that digital caliper has the automatic shut off, if not, don't bother. (IMO)

I'd like to add that I don't own a tumbler and haven't had any trouble yet, and don't anticipate any!

You can get all kinds of different things to clean up the outside of the cases and do it by hand. (I only clean the outside of the necks/mouths)

If money is tight, don't bother with a tumbler, put it towards something else like a couple bullet manufactures books. I think John Barsness has a real good DVD that might help also.

All you need in the beginning is a neck sizing die and a bullet seater, after 10 -20 shots each case,you might have to trim the length assuming you are using a factory barrel.Not a custom chamber.No reason to full length resize.A good primer pocket cleaner and sizer and deburring tool,look up K&M reloading supplies.A neck deburing tool and few brushes to clean the inside of the necks.A good liquid case cleaner.My tumblerhas been sitting for 15 years collecting dust,if you want to make them loo pretty,just buy a case spinner and the finest steel wool you can get.A hand primer is the only way to go.

Gthphtm the kit that I am going to purchase is going to have the pocket primer cleaning brush and the deburring tool. Yes my .280 is all factory, nothing special about it.

But I am seeing a concensus that I need to purchase a hand primer. I am assuming that the shell holders are compatible with any hand primer?

Larry does Remington make a reloading book? I have never seen their book yet. Seems to me a lot of the books that I am seeing are made from the "powder" manufactorer.

Gthphtm the kit that I am going to purchase is going to have the pocket primer cleaning brush and the deburring tool. Yes my .280 is all factory, nothing special about it.

But I am seeing a concensus that I need to purchase a hand primer. I am assuming that the shell holders are compatible with any hand primer?

Larry does Remington make a reloading book? I have never seen their book yet. Seems to me a lot of the books that I am seeing are made from the "powder" manufactorer.

The bullet manufacturers books are good. Read anything and every thing you can find. Plenty of good ideas in all the books. Differing opinions on some things like the post above that says all you need is a neck sizer die. That might be good for him but most other people and VERY knowledgeable ones always full length size all the time. Lots of great info on line of course too.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

full length sizing does the entire casing. Neck sizing only does the neck and the rest of the casing remains fire fored to ONLY the chamber of the gun you are using. I have been told and read to full length size for auto loaders. Yours is a pump so I have no frame of reference. I neck size for my Encore and 700 but full length size for Dad's 7400. sets of dies are different. I use the Lee Deluxe set and they give you the neck sizer AND the full length sizer in the set. If you find extraction issues and you neck sized I would go to full lenght sizing.