calling

oneidacountyhunter

Not pointless. Deer are vocal and calling this early with a fawn call (distress call) wiil bring Does in running!!. A Doe Grunt and Contact calls are also good they use them to contact other Deer. As for the Bucks maybe a soft tending call. Since the Rut and Sparring hasn't started yet, you don't want anything too loud to scare them away!

Best of luck with the calling they do work at the right times.

I have killed more deer using a call than any other single hunting tool other than my weapon. I never go into th woods without a call... I call all throughout the hunting season. This time of year is a great time to call... deer are naturally curious animals and will react to a call this time of year just to investigate what they percieve as a familiar sound... young bucks are especially easy to call early... yearling bucks are usually new to the area and like any teenager they are looking for some action... any new sound or somewhat familiar sound sparks their attention and they will come to see if they can make a new friend... sometimes they will run to the call.. bigger bucks will also come to the call, but in my experience they will always (100% of the time) move downwind before approaching the spot that the call came from usually busting the hunter long before he gets into bow range... in and area where a big buck can see a long ways like an open field he will expect to see what made the call, if he doesn't, he will be very skiddish while investigating it's source so don't expect him to just prance straight over to your stand.. he will make a big circle and get his nose into the wind first and approach from inside the cover. I have never seen a young buck ignore any call.. I have though seen several big bucks act as if they never even heard it.. even though I know that they did. For smaller bucks you really don't even have to be a good caller.. for bigger bucks you had better sound like a deer.

• Like 1

Is there a good mouth call that will imitate a fawn call? I have an electronic caller but don't want to lug that in while carrying a treestand and all the rest of my gear. I'm strickly a meat hunter and with the abundance of does versus bucks, anything that can bring in does would work out better for me.

I do believe elcetronic calls are not legal to use in NY. But yes I have had some success calling this early in the norther tier for years. The one that gets the most attention is a fawn bawling. If a doe is in the area and receptive to investigating a fawn she will come in. Even this early I have rattled and had does come in. Dont ask why I have no idea other than curiosity I would say. NYantler has said it pretty good about some of the scenarios that can be played out. Those big bucks are sneaky and a decoy is a good way to entice them a little bit more. Just make sure it is scent free of human odors or that will be your last chance at getting him to come into that scenario. Good luck.

I do believe elcetronic calls are not legal to use in NY.

This is from DEC website.

Q: Is it legal to use decoys and electronic calls to hunt deer?

A: Both decoys and electronic calls are legal to use for deer hunting in NY. You should exercise caution when transporting a deer decoy to and from the locations in the field. Some hunters wrap a strip of blaze orange material around the decoy when carrying it.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Look under "Equipment" section.

This is from DEC website.

Q: Is it legal to use decoys and electronic calls to hunt deer?

A: Both decoys and electronic calls are legal to use for deer hunting in NY. You should exercise caution when transporting a deer decoy to and from the locations in the field. Some hunters wrap a strip of blaze orange material around the decoy when carrying it.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Look under "Equipment" section.

I think they maybe new because I'm pretty sure a few years ago electronic calls could only be used for predators and crows

I do believe elcetronic calls are not legal to use in NY. But yes I have had some success calling this early in the norther tier for years. The one that gets the most attention is a fawn bawling. If a doe is in the area and receptive to investigating a fawn she will come in. Even this early I have rattled and had does come in. Dont ask why I have no idea other than curiosity I would say. NYantler has said it pretty good about some of the scenarios that can be played out. Those big bucks are sneaky and a decoy is a good way to entice them a little bit more. Just make sure it is scent free of human odors or that will be your last chance at getting him to come into that scenario. Good luck.

A decoy does work very well for the bigger bucks I don't use one because I'm not sitter, but I know fellas that do and they swear by them this time of year... I use the "True Talker" call... Hunters Specialties sells it now... I have the original one from the inventor David Oathout... it is, in my opinion, the best deer call on the market.