Is it legal

Bowshotmuzzleloader

you may want to check dec website. i dont think it is legal.

I looked on the website and what confuses me is says cant have a autoloading firearm with a capacity of 6 shells ??? I would have 5 + the smoke pole ... I know I am grasping at straws here .. Just though someone may no for sure..

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

There is no limit to the number of firearms that you may carry, as long as they all are legal implements for the season that is open.

So, if you want to, during REGULAR deer season, you can carry a compound bow, a crossbow, a shotgun , a muzzleloader, and a pistol or multiples of the aforementioned implements.

Back before rifles were legalized here, a buddy of mine used to hunt out of a treestand with a shotgun/slugs and his scoped Encore 7mm08 pistol. If a deer went running past 30 yards away, he'd use the shotgun. If one stepped out 200 yards away, he'd use the pistol.

I hunted out of a watch a few years back with my XP-100 pistol in .260 Rem. It happened to be on a flight path for geese coming off a nearby swamp. I started taking my Browning O/U with me loaded with shot. While watching the adjoining fields for deer, I had some fun shooting geese that were coming over the hedgerow where I was standing, at treetop level.

It was perfectly legal, as long as I did not try to shoot a deer with the shotgun and shot loads (fat chance) OR attempt to shoot the geese with the pistol ( EQUALLY fat chance)...

Edited by Pygmy

D.E.C I actually had this conversation with an econ officer, he said this on the topic, I don't care if you carry 15 guns don't bother me a bit if you want to carry all them guns that's your choice, Its not illegal just don't have a gun that holds more than 6 unless its a pistol, That's in 8J so the only way to get your answer would be ask the econ officer you will be dealing with in your area, the law is open for interpretation, The way he understands it, not you. Hope it helps

D.E.C I actually had this conversation with an econ officer, he said this on the topic, I don't care if you carry 15 guns don't bother me a bit if you want to carry all them guns that's your choice, Its not illegal just don't have a gun that holds more than 6 unless its a pistol, That's in 8J so the only way to get your answer would be ask the econ officer you will be dealing with in your area, the law is open for interpretation, The way he understands it, not you. Hope it helps

The magazine capacity restriction only applies to SEMI-AUTO rifles and shotguns. If your gun is manually operated, whether a pump, lever, or bolt action, there is no restriction on magazine capacity, unless you are hunting migratory gamebirds.

Model 97 and Model 12 Winchester shotguns, unplugged, will hold 7 shots, as will several different lever action centerfire rifles. British SMLE bolt action rifles use a 10 shot box magazine.

Edited by Pygmy

yes u may i called a dec officer last yr w the same question...... but just to make sure i am understanding what ur saying u are asking if its legal to carry a shotgun or rifle during reg season, am i correct? from what i understand here is a list of legal implements for during reg season: Rifle Bow Muzz Shotgun Handgun Crossbow i am not sure EXACTLY what ALL the rules are (example: pistol barrels need to be 6in. i think) but i think the answer for you is yes.

• 5 weeks later...

The magazine capacity restriction only applies to SEMI-AUTO rifles and shotguns. If your gun is manually operated, whether a pump, lever, or bolt action, there is no restriction on magazine capacity, unless you are hunting migratory gamebirds.

Model 97 and Model 12 Winchester shotguns, unplugged, will hold 7 shots, as will several different lever action centerfire rifles. British SMLE bolt action rifles use a 10 shot box magazine.

The year my buddy got shot while deer hunting Dieter Cramer the D.E.C officer at the time told me when checking all are guns that deer hunting had a cap of 6 shots, but for small game it didnt matter, waterfowl's 3 shot restriction is the only one out there, Now if that still holds true i dont know, But really do you need more than 6 shots, Ive never used more than 2, And when hunting with an AR-15 the magizne can hold no more than 5 shots, So there has to be a restriction somwhere, The AR part was brought up at a federation meeting,

The year my buddy got shot while deer hunting ,

The year he got SHOT?!?!?! Well that's a way to open a story. Hope he turned out alright.

As far as the question at hand I've never read anything about carrying a muzzleloader and shotgun during regular season.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Well that's the year i decided that its time to stop hunting with just anybody and get a little more serious about the sport, I also decided to become a hunter safety instructor hoping to maybe make a difference on the youth before they get corrupted, Its a scary thing seeing your buddy lying there blood pouring out of his face from the 12 gauge slug that just decided to make the inside of his head home, My friend survived and you can barely tell he got shot but it should have never happened and is completely avoidable, I still hunt with his family to this day and i feel good that they trust me enough to do that, But to start a story that way is not a bad thing, Its just coming from sombody who has been through it,