Doe in heat already?

sampotter

Many other naturally occuring things have been 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule this year, blooms,insect hatches, leaf color and drop, fish spawning, etc. Some have said 80's for a week in mid March plus non existent winter is the cause. Makes you wonder about the rut.

I'm thinking this is an isolated scenario..? Maybe she triggered off this last full moon? The # of days after the full moon are right if you go by Alsheimer's predictions but maybe she just jumped the gun...

Last Thursday night I had two doe cross the road in front of me and a very nice 8 rith on the one does heels. neck straight out and liips curled. at about 10' in front of my truck.

I know people seem to be "reporting" this info, but please keep in mind that a buck is ready to breed year-round. They get agitated at this time of year and will do some "seeking/chasing" behavior, but the does are not ready/willing. Sure a doe or two may have come in early as she is an early estrous doe...but just be skeptic about the rut coming "early" as people like to say most years.

The real rut data doesn't change much...just what we see of it. One doe in estrous in the area could make bucks go bonkers no doubt, tailing and checking any doe that cross his path or nose.

• Like 2

I know people seem to be "reporting" this info, but please keep in mind that a buck is ready to breed year-round. They get agitated at this time of year and will do some "seeking/chasing" behavior, but the does are not ready/willing. Sure a doe or two may have come in early as she is an early estrous doe...but just be skeptic about the rut coming "early" as people like to say most years.

The real rut data doesn't change much...just what we see of it. One doe in estrous in the area could make bucks go bonkers no doubt, tailing and checking any doe that cross his path or nose.

Spot on Phade, Cool video Sam and it certainly does not surprise me that a small percentage of does may be coming in a month early. Given the date of this video (10-7-12)and from what i've been seeing this past week, if we follow this out 28 day then the sweet spot of chasing should be right on schedule with what i've seen every year. Nov 2 to about the 9th or 10th with the 6th or 7th being the "must be in the woods" days..