Reading the regs...skunk hunting?

Paulie

I've read somewhere that if it isn't a complete instant death, the skunk will still spray with it's last dying breath. Sort of like sh*tting itself. This completely stinks up the fur and the cost to clean the fur was become more expensive than the fur itself.

Skunk pelts go for about $25 on ebay. i think its more a novelty like for mountain man shows, etc, than it is for fashion. same for possum. As for them releasing all their gas per Elmo, I have a buddy who does pest control and the few times we have put down a skunk, I have not experience that. Maybe it was all "out of gas" when we picked it up, IDK.

BTW, possum is about the only thing I have refused to try. IDKY but to me it just seems revolting.

I've read somewhere that if it isn't a complete instant death, the skunk will still spray with it's last dying breath. Sort of like sh*tting itself. This completely stinks up the fur and the cost to clean the fur was become more expensive than the fur itself.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! It does not matter if the skunk sprays or not. I have trapped skunks for 20 years. Skunks are selling higher than alot of coon hides these days and the essence has a high value also.

Here are some ave. from last season..note the skunk average

Here are the AVERAGES from todays sale at Ballston Spa.

Beaver $25.67

Bobcat 63.50

Beaver Castor 50.92/lb.

Coon 16.44

Coyote 22.01

Fisher 57.16

Grey Fox 28.71

Pine Marten 54.50

Mink 21.41

Otter 70.07

Rats 9.14

Red Fox 28.38

Skunk 5.19

Weasel 4.50

Edited by HOUNDS77

Here are some ave. from last season..note the skunk average

Here are the AVERAGES from todays sale at Ballston Spa.

Beaver $25.67

Bobcat 63.50

Beaver Castor 50.92/lb.

Coon 16.44

Coyote 22.01

Fisher 57.16

Grey Fox 28.71

Pine Marten 54.50

Mink 21.41

Otter 70.07

Rats 9.14

Red Fox 28.38

Skunk 5.19

Weasel 4.50

Where's the muskrat?

I skinned a few of them in the 60s and got less than a buck apiece for them..

I wouldn't skin one today for $5, and the trappers I know who catch them incidently in thier fox/coyote and coon sets just kill them and throw them aside.. Same with the "grinners"..

Your apology is not necessary, Hounds... I was pulling your chain a little ( pun intended) and I do respect your opinion.

I can also understand why some trappers don't want to take the time and effort to skin, flesh, and stretch low value furs.

Yeah I can see how some would feel killing an animal then just throwing it away might be offensive. Look at it this way. To many of one animal could lead to other variables like distemper, rabies, mange, etc. A skunk in a trap that sprays will attract other predators. In the area that I hunt any legal game is fair game wether I plan on using it or not. This philosophy may help a clutch of eggs make it through its journey. Furthering the cycle of life for another species.

Should make the demand go up then.

On the contrary. During the 80's having a mink fur coat was a symbol of wealth. Everyone wanted to have a fur coat. After PETAs smear campaign, people have turned away from fur coat and started adopting faux fur or no fur at all. You don't see people walking down the streets with full length fur coats as much anymore.

Funny you say that ELMO...I was tempted to bring my deer mount on the train with me to work, just so I could walk down park ave with a deer head and see people reactions! I think that would have been priceless!! maybe I will still do it!