Utah Elk Success

firehunter48

So my father and Uncle decided a while back that they would DRIVE to Utah from Buffalo so they could elk hunting. Not really a major ordeal but my father is pushing his mid 60's with mild to moderate health issues and my uncle is in his mid to late 60's with some pretty decent health issues and like to fall asleep while driving!!

So with that being said and my ENTIRE family still pissed at them both for doing it, they made it back safe and sound last night so i was "fortunate" enough, yes that was sarcasm in a way, to butcher an elk all day. Thankfully they were already boned out and he gave me a crap load of meat since they arent really that small of an animal.....at least now some of the pressure is off to fill the freezer with deer meat.

My father is the one wearing the hat in the pic and he took a large 7x5 at 360 yards, which is apparently normal distance out there according to the guides. The eye guards on him are less than 3/4 of an inch from touching and also has some sort of knuckle on his left main beam near the base where it looked like he had an extra main beam of some kind that broke off.

My uncle, non hat bald guy, took a large 6x6 with a drop tine on the ride side. His fourth point on both sides are flattened out so they are actually like knife blades which is pretty cool and had never seen before now.

A lot of meat which isnt going to go to waste and might add.....is pretty damn tasty

post-999-0-76738600-1350426402_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-92353000-1350426417_thumb.jpg

They went to Royal Rut Outfitters. They both said that as nice as the hunt was in general, neither one of them would go back. there were a lot of safety issues that they were both unhappy with whcih the owner did not want to seem to take care of and promises that were never delivered. i/we understand that not all promises can be delivered but when you tell your prospective clients that the camp has a place to butcher and bone meat and then give you attitude when you ask them where is is after they tell you it would $550 for them to do it for you, itsnt really right in my opinion

• 6 months later...

I just looked up this outfitter. It's a preserve, high-fence, gauranteed canned hunt. No harvest - no pay.

Get out of here, NO WAY?

Looking at those animals I'd have guessed that right from the get go.   Too bad but it is what it is, hopefully they are happy with the outcome.