Dogs killing my spot.

HuntOrBeHunted

I'm guessing he called them "dogs" because they have four legs and look like a "dog". I don't see the problem with someone refering to a "coyote", "fox", "wolf" or a "house dog" for that matter, as a dog. Just my opinion... But as for the deer movement, I did the same thing when I got excited seeing a few nice bucks on cam in the preseason. Started off with a ton of sign so I stuck the cam in. Turns out I checked it way too often and now they pretty much avoid that area at all cost. Havent hunted it since the beginning of the season actually.

I have gotten deer at the same spot were my camera has sat. I figure after they get used to the noise the camera makes by the time they realize they heard another sound its to late.

I most likely over hunted the area. I'm not going to stress it i'm going to give it a week and go back at it. Then leave the camera in for a longer period of time.

Hopefully they pattern back to the way they were running.

My guess unless they are following a doe or they are pushed past you you will not see them again. Thim big haus bucks didnt get big being dumb. JMO.

Thats fine I have never really seen any big bucks on the camera yet anyway. Im not really worried buck or doe i'd rather harvest a doe right now and wait for the rut to kick in. Unless ofcourse a big buck came around.

But I hunted there a few times and there run was really beat down so I take it they have been there for a while a week or two and i'm going to put the camera back in.

There lots of acorns around so the deer won't be far away!

If I get some nice pictures I will post them.

No. I just dont see it as something to argue about, you are arguing a scientific definition and its pretty much a nit picky thing anyhow.

+1

I just pretty much avoid people that just point out petty things that have nothing to do with the topic.

I do see the point in calling a fox a fox.

But when I say "dog" I figured that we all pretty much know i'm not talking about a random strayed pitbull.

But other than that I chalked it up to me being around there a bit to much.

Live n learn I guess.

It would be a good idea to let the area calm down. With the rut around the corner, you will want the does to feel comfortable there. Even if there are no big bucks there now, once they start cruising for does, they might come from a few miles and if the does are around the bucks will find them! The bucks will be unpredictable during the rut, so a trailcam won't be much help.You noticed a decrease in daytime activity around a good food source. So it looks like they've patterned you. They'll either avoid the area or visit in the dark.

Good luck and keep the ladies(does) happy!

• Like 1

But when I say "dog" I figured that we all pretty much know i'm not talking about a random strayed pitbull.

"I" can accept your reasoning, but in all actuality domesticated dogs can be a real nuisance upon deer! Coyotes are the only wild canine that NY deer have to worry about. They won't just go barking madly at deer, a predator stalks it's prey. The deer have dealt with coyotes all of their lives. My point is that deer and coyotes co-exist in the same areas. If a coyote has enough gall to take on a full grown deer, the deer will likely just run away and return to it's daily life or kick the crap outta' the yote! Even coyotes won't throw a deer too far off it's course. A barking dog on the other hand could heel-hound that deer into the next town!

It would be a good idea to let the area calm down. With the rut around the corner, you will want the does to feel comfortable there. Even if there are no big bucks there now, once they start cruising for does, they might come from a few miles and if the does are around the bucks will find them! The bucks will be unpredictable during the rut, so a trailcam won't be much help.You noticed a decrease in daytime activity around a good food source. So it looks like they've patterned you. They'll either avoid the area or visit in the dark.

Good luck and keep the ladies(does) happy!

Thats the plan. I'm going to hunt another few places and go back in a few weeks. I'm hoping they will pattern back to the strong run they were on.

If i were you, i would put the camera in your truck and leave it there. It's the last week in Oct. and those does are not going to stand for your mistakes. As Predate stated, the deer activity and movement are going to be getting really unpredictable and even if you got something on film, it's not going to help you one bit on the day you hunt. Go out and see whats happening and adjust if you have to. Find terrain features like funnels or ridge crossings or edge of thick cover or swamp edges and just hunt. Or set up on those acorns. But forget the camera. This is no time to be screwing around with pictures in your hunting area...!!!

• 3 weeks later...