Long range forecast and the rut.

First-light

In central NY it is going to be cold and wet all next week. What type of effect do you think weather like that has on the rut?

We all know cold weather helps to get the rut going but what about the rain??

Edited by First-light

First-Light,

I'm a total beleiver in the rain. The rain makes scent smell that much stronger. We all have been around a dog on a humid/wet day and the smell is much stronger. Now let me make myself clear, you don't want a soaker or where it is uncomfortable to sit, but a steady rain is the best time. Hard to hear them obviously so have to keep your eyes peeled at ALL TIMES!!!

First-Light,

I'm a total beleiver in the rain. The rain makes scent smell that much stronger. We all have been around a dog on a humid/wet day and the smell is much stronger. Now let me make myself clear, you don't want a soaker or where it is uncomfortable to sit, but a steady rain is the best time. Hard to hear them obviously so have to keep your eyes peeled at ALL TIMES!!!

Interesting point you have. Thanks

First-Light,

I like this guy already.

Dont hold your breath Biz, they are likely to be in the lockdown phase at that point. Time will tell though.

Lol, why not? I want a buck the first minute of opening day lol.

Last year, opening day of shotgun season, bucks were chasing does hardcore. Luckily, where I hunt there isn't much land, so if I don't see them by 10-11am I will go still hunting midday and find them.

The rut timing is going to be different than last year, a tad earlier and less drawn out. The weather looks to be completely the opposite as well. Thats the theory I have seen the most of at least.

For opening day, Ill have my money on escape routes, especially in the morning. Last year I sat on one, and passed 3 bucks within the first hour of gun season. The guys back in the swamp bumped them right to me. Ill be in the same spot this year, hopefully something bigger than last year walks by.

Last year, opening day of shotgun season, bucks were chasing does hardcore. Luckily, where I hunt there isn't much land, so if I don't see them by 10-11am I will go still hunting midday and find them.

I'm guessing you're in Southern Tier? Up here opening day of rifle was October 20th. (I'm new to this forum)

Do you hunt in the Atlantic down there or something?

You may have some rutting action that far down state.