General Hunting Opinion

browningchick23

Howdy All,

I am up just next to the St. Lawrence River, and I just have some opinion questions for some of you fellow hunters.

It's supposed to be 70 degrees for the next two days. Worth hunting? I like to have my deer hang for a few days rather than instantly quarter them up.

Also, I'm almost 7 months pregnant and am forced to hunt in a blind on the ground (unless hubby is there to "spot" me into the stand...not my choice trust me...would much rather be in a stand). Any tips for me for hunting in my blind? I set it up in late August so the deer have had lots of time to get used to it, but it seems like every time I'm in it the only thing I see are squirrels. I use natural cover scent (i.e., rub my hunting gear down with pine needles, dirt, etc. don't wear perfume all of hunting season, etc).

Also, what are all of your experiences hunting in high(er) winds? (15+mph)

Some good feedback would be great.

Ohhh I remember those days...but it was gun hunting and walking the hills or Alfred......as far as being in the blind...make sure you have a stool with a back..Do you use no scent soaps when you shower...they do help...shampoo with it as well..

With winds ...depending on the set up...try keeping windows on wind side closed and use some sent wicks with just doe or buck or combo..... out with in shooting distance...do you have a decoy? small buck works well...and well I swear by using turkey decoys...bonus...it's turkey season....but that's if on private land.....

Best of Luck...what a great story to tell the little one later on...by the way hunted with both mine and they are hunters now...lol

If I used those shampoos, I would look like I stuck my finger in a light socket. I always try to wear a hat and tuck my hair up under it. I don't have a decoy - never met anyone who used them. I hunt my mother's small property of 9 acres and it's all thick stuff. Made my own trail and have 2 tree stands on the property and now my blind which is right under my tree stand (lol). I have one of the fold out chairs with arms. I wouldn't last 5 minutes out there on a stool without one. I have a bottle of Tinks "Doe P" that i usually put a few drops on my boots before going in.

If you're in the thick, the wind shouldn't be an issue. With temps in the 70s, letting deer hang is not an option unless you have a cooler. I wouldn't let a big boy pass just because of high temps, but I personally wouldn't take a doe.

Worth hunting?? Always!

Good luck and congrats on the baby!

All I've seen the last 4 times I've been out is squirrels. Missed a doe a week ago with the muzzeloader and haven't seen one since. I take whatever walks in front of me because you can't eat horns. I hunt to fill my freezer, not to decorate the wall. If I get that chance, great. If not, I still have meat in the freezer. And I'll need that espeically w/ the new baby coming :)

• Like 2

If all you have is 9 acres, you may be overhunting the spot. Given your situation, not much you can do about it unless the hubby is willing to put up a blind for you on new ground.

I wish you the best of luck with hunting and the little one.

Thanks. I hunt my mom's 9 acres, and there are a few acres attached to it that we are allowed to hunt. Hubby doesn't hunt only on the weekends - doesn't get home from work in time. I'm done at 4:00 so I head right to the woods after work. Once MAYBE twice a week we are out there together to cover the entire property. I only bring one deer per year out of there and have seen plenty.

I'm kinda of the opnion its always worth hunting. Can't kill em if you aren't in the woods. I would def cool that deer down with ice and get it to a processor ASAP in 70 degrees. I would gut it and then skin it too. It just helps cool it down quicker.

As for ground blind, I hunt one too sometimes. Some keys to that would be to use some natural cover to help brush it in, make sure you can see clearly out of it in many directions, and if using a bow, make sure you can pull it back without bumping anything. I learned that last one the hard way.

Personally, I would hunt on the ground being 7 months preg. I wouldn't want my wife in a stand. just me tho.

How about calling, do you use any deer calls?..Rattle bag or antlers, grunt call, bleats...etc.. They work great especially since your hidden in a blind they can't see the movement or pin your location as easy. Also try putting some of that Tinks Doe P or "69" about 20 yards out from your blind in the view areas of your blins windows or shooting lanes...Best of lucking with your future hunter's arrival and this season!

There's more meat on a big old buck!

Phade is right about overhunting. I hunt alot from the ground. I also hunt different spots each day. You don't really need a blind. I just hunker down near some brush or against a big tree. I see no reason why you couldn't even set your chair up. My point is, the deer may have figured you out. You might do better moving, even if it's just a short ways. Just make sure you leave hubby a note that tells him where you are!

Striped: That's a good idea with the scents. No one in my family really uses calls and everyone I've talked to said they're kind of pointless until the rut gets here other than a fawn bleat. I have a few apps on my phone (lol).

Rev: I agree with that, but the last 4 nights of not seeing anything have got me so discouraged. Not to mention my housework is suffering (LMAO). I just figure they won't move as much in the warm weather as they do in the cooler but that's proving to be a misconception.

Was referring more to the profanity. I personally don't have a problem with it but the moderators might. There are some kids on this forum. Just a FYI.

Welcome to the forum by the way. All the respect for your dedication to this sport.

You are overhunting the spot. Plain and simple.

My suggestion is to go to a new spot if possible. If not, I would take the chair, go sit on the ground where you have the best balance of vision and cover to break up your silohuette. Then, I would pray.

I know hunting small parcels...most what I do is small parcels. Can't get blood from a turnip.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BuckSteady
      New hunter to NY here. Found some public land to hunt, it’s a WMA. I wish I read the regs more thoroughly because I threw up a ladder stand yesterday and today when I was re-reading them, I saw you can’t put temporary stands on WMAs, only on state forests and other such state land. I honestly didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to, I even put my name and license # on the stand. I was going to go take it down tomorrow but it’s an hour drive so I wanted to ask, what do DEC officers do if they find a ladderstand like mine on a WMA? Is this an automatic fine or whatever? Will they just call me and tell me to come get it? Confiscate? How often do officers go through areas like WMAs and check for stands? Any info would be helpful. I’ll still probably go take it down tomorrow, although I have seen other stands up on the WMA, I just prefer to stay on the right side of the law myself. Thanks!
    • By TheHornHunter
      I put up another post a few days ago about the buck I harvested and the favorable weather setup I took advantage of. A member replied asking me to expand on this and how barometric pressure impacts deer movement so I decided to make a new post about it.
      Cold fronts are one of the best catalysts for deer movement and there are  three phases to any cold front which we will discuss later as it relates to hunting. I’ve generalized the wind conditions below which are based on our typical north westerly winds for cold fronts but we occasionally have a NE system come through:
      Just before: winds will typically shift NW to N and barometric pressure will start increasing as temps slowly start to drop During: winds typically still NW to N, barometric pressure is high (30.2+) but typically flattens out as temperatures bottom After: winds shift S to SW, barometric pressure starts dropping as temps increase Before we get to the hunting part I think it’s worth explaining why cold fronts impact deer movement and how the deer react and interpret the weather conditions. Cold weather causes deer to use more energy to sustain which means they need to eat more and thus must head to food more during day light. During the rut it also drives more movement because it’s more favorable for bucks to run around – think about working out on a 90 degree July day vs. a 60 degree September day; I bet you can do a lot more and be more comfortable in September than July. So how do deer react to a cold front? Deer can sense changes in barometric pressure - I believe through a sensor in their ear - and they know if it starts rising that probably means colder weather is coming and vice versa when it drops. This means you’ll see movement just before it hits because deer will sense the pressure rising and will hit the feed to try and get enough reserves to get through whatever is coming. Once the cold is here and pressure is high they will typically continue to feed heavy or if during rut running around like crazy (partly because does are out more trying to eat). Finally, once the pressure starts dropping deer will understand better conditions are coming which I find usually has one good day of movement where deer are out restocking feed reserves and getting their social fix; after the first day of warmer temps I find movement drops off pretty drastically.
      Now to the fun part – how do you hunt them? Most of you know how powerful a October or early-to-mid November cold front can be at getting deer – especially mature bucks – up on their feet and I think any one of the above phases is a good time to be in the woods, although I’ve seen the most movement in #2 when temps are the lowest followed by #1 just before it hits and deer are preparing for it.
      That all changes from my experience once we get past the middle of November - they are still just as powerful (if not more) at driving movement but require different tactics. The cold fronts are now much colder with typically higher wind speeds and the deer are much more run down from already going through the bulk of rut. This translates to much more movement on phase #1 when the first northerly winds come in and pressure starts rising (signaling to deer bad weather ahead and the need to feed) and phase #3 when wind switches out of the south, temps start rising and pressure starts falling (signaling to deer the coast is clear and better conditions ahead). I’ve spent many lonely cold hours in the stand during the middle of those cold fronts thinking deer would be out feeding hard when temps are the lowest but based on my observations they more so just hunker  down in thermal bedding and forage on whatever is close to that. It’s almost like they avoid movement to try and conserve as much food reserves as they can which makes sense given the difference in temps (an October / early November cold front probably bottoms out at 20-40F while later season they will usually be single digits). I think the very low movement characteristics of phase #2 really enhance phase #3 which is by far my favorite time to hunt one of these cold fronts - phase #1 is good too and I definitely go out but I generally stay out of woods during phase #2 and do stuff like pull trail cam cards, put up new sets, etc. Deer are social creatures and become more like humans late season in that they don’t like nasty weather any more than us. Deer will crave social interaction after being bottled up for a couple days dealing with extreme cold so there’s two powerful factors driving movement in phase #3 (need to restore feed reserves and get their social fix). If you get one of these cold fronts from say 11/15 to 11/25 then you add another even more powerful factor and that’s the desire to breed with the tail end of rut. Bucks will finish breeding any does they are locked down with during the cold front but they don’t really go out seeking new ones until weather gets better so you can see some powerful seeking and chasing on the first south wind after a cold front (especially with mature bucks).
      This is exactly what happened on my hunt – Tuesday afternoon the winds shifted NW and pressure started rising so I jumped in an observation stand overlooking a creek bed and rye grass field on one of my properties and saw quite a few does and some bucks (including a big frame 10) hitting the tallest section of grass an hour before sunset. Temps dropped to single digits Wednesday and Thursday – I ended up hunting Thursday because it was thanksgiving and who doesn’t hunt on Thanksgiving (?!) but only saw a few does – I usually see at least one 3 year old buck and minimum of 10-15 deer every time I hunt this property so this was a very slow day. Friday AM was still very cold but winds switched to the south, pressure started dropping, and it was probably 35 degrees by 2PM when I headed out. I went to the closest spot I could get to where I saw the deer feeding in the rye on Tuesday which happened to be in a hedgerow – we didn’t have a stand on it so I put some brush together and made a DIY blind to ground hunt from. I had a 3 year 130-140 class 8 pointer cruise by within 60 yards of me less than ten minutes after I was set up and had constant action the rest of the evening (two mature bucks, two 3 year olds, three 2 year olds and ~15 small bucks and does). I had 8 does in front of me in the rye around 430PM when I saw one snap her head back to the creek bed at the head of the hedgerow I was on and a second later I had my buck in sight at a full run after her grunting like crazy. I couldn’t stop him and ended up shooting him on the run, but it was something I will never forget and is a good example of how powerful the action can be right after one of those brutal late November cold fronts.
      The best stand locations are pinch points between bedding and food or right on a food source (my favorite are green ones like winter wheat, clover, rye, etc. or a cut corn field). I like to sit an observation stand where I can see a lot of ground on the first phase so I can get an idea of where the deer are moving and then I move in on those spots and either ground hunt or do a hang and hunt on that first day of southerly winds (unless of course I’m lucky enough to already have a set hung there but I’m usually not that lucky).
      I hope this helps explain my strategy better and helps one of you put a nice buck on the ground! Definitely let me know if anyone has any questions or has different opinions or experience on the matter.
      --- Horn Hunter
    • By goosifer
      I would like people's thoughts on this. As far as safety (fall arrest) harnesses go, and specifically the part that loops around the tree trunk (cal it the "tree belt"), does the tree belt stay attached to the tree with the stand or stay with the harness on the hunter? I have eight treestands on my property. I hunt it along with a handful of hunting buddies. One buddy who helped me set up a treestand installed the tree belt with a large heavy duty steel carabiner on it. That way, you just have to take the loop at the end of the tether on the harness and clip it in. Convenient, I admit. It has been suggested to me to set up all the stands that way. My thought is that the tree belt should stay with the harness and the hunter, and each time the hunter gets in the stand, he or she is responsible for properly securing their harness to the tree belt (just loop the belt through the loop at the end of the tether first, and then secure it around the tree, that way no carabiner is needed).My thought it I would never want to trust my safety to a belt loop I hadn't installed myself. Also, if you are going to use carabiners, they need to be to climbing specs. If I'm not familiar with the specs of the carabiner, I wouldn't trust it. Lastly, being the landowner, I worry that if someone were to fall and the belt loop that was up there was not secured properly, there could be liability implications. So what do you think, does the tree belt stay with the tree or with the hunter?
    • By Nozzle23
      Hey all, total newbie here. I am going hunting  for the first time and was wondering what people usually bring up the tree stand with them. I was thinking Water, Some sort of food source as I will be in the stand for a long time ,Grunt tube, Antlers,small first aid kit, range finder, binoculars. I will be hunting in northern westchester and upstate in the Andes area. Is there anything I'm missing? I appreciate all responses
    • By Nozzle23
      Hey all, total newbie here. I am going hunting  for the first time and was wondering what people usually bring up the tree stand with them. I was thinking Water, Some sort of food source as I will be in the stand for a long time ,Grunt tube, Antlers,small first aid kit, range finder, binoculars. I will be hunting in northern westchester and upstate in the Andes area. Is there anything I'm missing? I appreciate all responses