i need help

fisher2

so im a new hunter this is my second season, so far i've been out 16 times 5 where all day sits last year i was out 35 times in total for all 3 seasons and didnt see anything except one spike this year i saw one nice one about 600 yards away and he has disappeared so im reaching out for help since im doing something wrong at this point, i need help can somebody meet me at some point on state land in hurley ny and try to get me on a deer we'll get there around noon for a night hunt so somebody can show me how to scout properly on the fly and then we'll sit and see if we can get one on the ground im 19 and have yet to shoot anything except squirrels i havnt even gotten a chance to yet and the lack of sightings is really making sitting in stand for hours start to be hard

I'd help you, but I'm new myself. Personally, I would continue hunting small game and while walking the woods, try to put a pattern together. I hunt with airguns, and that gives me an advantage in scouting an area without spooking the deer.

Also, another piece of advice. You might want to proof-read your posts and correct with some proper grammar. I think it'll only help get your point across.

Good luck!

Edited by shawnhu

WOW, had a hard time understanding that due to all the grammar errors! KIDDING KIDDING KIDDING

The best thing you could do is just keep looking for signs. Head out after the season with some snowshoes if you can check for rubs and sheds. Also start scouting around July/August. Durning the season find a nice trail and sit. Then walk SLOWLY through the woods. You'll get em. Took me a season or two to get going

Good Luck

Yeah we got a few bone heads on here that dont think before they type.

The area around Hurley looks to be heavily forested and steep in most of your state land area's. That is challenging to start with.I concure with what oneidacnthnt said. Successful bow hunting starts with intimate knowledge of the surrounding terrain and how the deer relate to it. Find the trails the food and the sign.

well its a 4 mile hike to the beginning of the woods and then a mile in or so haha

That's dedication! Something I would've done in my youth too!

I don't know the area, but being stateland it could be getting pretty pressured. I take that you're hunting from the ground?

We've got some rainy weather on the way. That's my favorite time to scout(in the pouring down rain). The deer will be bedded, the leaves aren't crunchy, and I often spot deer in their beds. Also, any scent you leave will be washed away.

The deer will learn your habits. Try( depending on wind direction) to enter the woods from different angles. Be patient, the deer are gonna start getting squirly in the next week. You might arrow a slob if you keep trying as hard as you have been!

Good luck!

well its a 4 mile hike to the beginning of the woods and then a mile in or so haha

You might be getting to sweaty with that much walking and as warm as its been. I get to sweaty most of the times just walking 300 yrds to my stand. I would suggest carrying your hunting clothes in a seperate bag and wearing something else to walk in. Once you arrive on stateland strip down and wipe yourself down with scent away wipes, put on scent away deoderant and get dresses in freshly washed hunting clothes everytime. The wind in hill country is alot more fickle than on flat ground. And I would even saw it just swirrles and there is no way to keep it in your face. So being as scent free as possible is your best bet.

You can sit all day but if your moving/smell your chances go down dramatically. deer are not like small game they care and use there nose and eyes very efficiently. large well worn trails are usually not the best to sit on especially after leaf drop. look for a fainter trail 40-100 yards further back in the cover. your shooting lanes and legnth will decreese but would you rather just see deer far away(open woodsremember if you can see them at 100 yrds then they can see you and probably further..) or have a chance at a deer you might see coming(10-30 yards in thick cover)?

Edited by G-Man

Stop thinking so hard, Finding deer is easy. Those all day sits aren't doing you any good either, couple hours in the am and a couple hours at night, when the chase phase starts then i might sit all day, Post a pic of your property or something, looking at aerial photos is the first step, Normally you can find where the deer are just by looking at the pics, Then if you sit and you see deer moving in another place go in in the middle of the day and quietly hang a stand near there, Learn how to use a grunt call and a doe bleat can, almost every deer i have ever shot with a bow has come in to a call,

Poor kid asking for help and people are bashing his grammer and how he words things. Know wonder way kids don't ask for help. Hey fisher2 i would help you in a heart beat but i am not close enough. P.S. sorry for the wrong grammer if there is any but this is a hunting web site not ENGLISH CLASS.

Edited by moose