Button Bucks

BigMike

yes it is considered antlerless if they are less than 3 inches. I personally think it should not be allowed, but that is just me. Makes no sense to put antler restrictions in place and be allowed to shoot them before they get a chance to mature.

yes it is considered antlerless if they are less than 3 inches. I personally think it should not be allowed, but that is just me. Makes no sense to put antler restrictions in place and be allowed to shoot them before they get a chance to mature.

I was just curious wasn't expecting to shoot one but incase it happens just making sure I could tag it.

I believe the reason you are allowed is it is difficult to distinguish between does and button bucks. Three inches is just a point at which they feel you no longer have an excuse for misidentifying a buck as a doe.

Edited by KEVA
  • Like 1

I agree with you but I could see mistakes being made with no ill intent as far a distiniguishing a btn buck from a doe especially from a distance

• Like 1

Hate when people shoot button bucks.... just my opinion, dont want to start a forum war.... but any " hunter" should be able to determine a button or young doe. My method is the head, hence the nickname chisel head. That squarish small snouted face is a dead give away! Good luck, and i hope u bag a slob flat head not buttons!!

Most of the time I can tell a button buck from a doe, given enough time to check it out. But I certainly would stop short of saying that those that can't aren't hunters. Just like I would stop short of taking irrelevant, off-the wall, random shots that have no relevance to the discussion, at a segment of bowhunters just to make that point.

• Like 1

Sure its posible, given that the hunter is knowledgable about deer and is good at recognizing the features. Problem is, the vast majority of hunters are weekend warriors, and may not put as much time and effort into deer hunting as others. Doesnt make them less of a hunter or any less important to the sport to me.

Sure its posible, given that the hunter is knowledgable about deer and is good at recognizing the features. Problem is, the vast majority of hunters are weekend warriors, and may not put as much time and effort into deer hunting as others. Doesnt make them less of a hunter or any less important to the sport to me.

Again, not trying to say who is and isnt a hunter, just saying its a shame to me and im sure im not alone, when a button buck is shot. And hunters are hunters, knowledgeable or not, whether its a guy who studies everything he sees in the woods and reads up on as much as he can to the guy who dusts off his 12ga once a year and grabs a 30 pack for the night before opening day.... i wont say your not a hunter in my book! I dont care what people do i just hate seeing button bucks get shot! If the d.e.c. can put AR's out that means they expect you as a hunter, no matter what your knowledge is to be able to tell what it is your shooting at, i guess i wish the same thing, especially during bow!

How can u get a good and ethical shot at a deer with a bow without being able to give it a solid once over?

It's kind of sad to see a button buck hanging from the met pole, but it doesn't do a lot of good worrying about something that likely will never change. As WNYBuckHunter said, we have a lot of casual hunters that will only develop a certain level of skills ..... ever. And I belive that may very well be the majority of hunters.

My first year hunting I shot a bb thinking it was a doe. Wasn't my intention but sh*t happens.

My friend who owned the property had advised on how to tell the difference but still it looked female to me, I told him it was just a real feminine looking buck so to be thankful I'd whacked the queer deer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

My first year hunting I shot a bb thinking it was a doe. Wasn't my intention but sh*t happens.

My friend who owned the property had advised on how to tell the difference but still it looked female to me, I told him it was just a real feminine looking buck so to be thankful I'd whacked the queer deer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Cant tell its a bb but can tell its a queer.... now thats skill..lol

• Like 1

Again, not trying to say who is and isnt a hunter, just saying its a shame to me and im sure im not alone, when a button buck is shot. And hunters are hunters, knowledgeable or not, whether its a guy who studies everything he sees in the woods and reads up on as much as he can to the guy who dusts off his 12ga once a year and grabs a 30 pack for the night before opening day.... i wont say your not a hunter in my book! I dont care what people do i just hate seeing button bucks get shot! If the d.e.c. can put AR's out that means they expect you as a hunter, no matter what your knowledge is to be able to tell what it is your shooting at, i guess i wish the same thing, especially during bow!

How can u get a good and ethical shot at a deer with a bow without being able to give it a solid once over?

Easy, you can see the vitals, and see whether or not it has horns on its head (if it does that there are the correct number of points). Seeing nubs or figuring out the length of its nose is not something everyone is willing or should need to learn to do. Whether you realize it or not, you are trying to say that if someone does not have your knowledge level of deer or better, then they are not a good or ethical hunter.

Good lord, you just dont get it do you. All Im saying is that an attitude like the one you are espousing is elitist and bad for the sport.

Stop worrying about what other guys are shooting, as long as its legal who are you to tell them they are doing something wrong just because its not what YOU choose to do.

• Like 2

1) i am not saying people are less of a hunter for any reason

2) i would rather hunters killed mature deer than bb's

3) i would hope at some point in our hunting career that all of us try to learn something to better us as hunter

Can u really tell me u disagree with this?

Or.....

Lets agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Good lord, you just dont get it do you. All Im saying is that an attitude like the one you are espousing is elitist and bad for the sport.

Stop worrying about what other guys are shooting, as long as its legal who are you to tell them they are doing something wrong just because its not what YOU choose to do.

Seriously? Im not worried, i am far from "elitist", and i have told no one they are wrong!

• Like 1

Im not going to sit here and go back and forth. Anyone can read what you wrote. If thats how you feel, then so be it. Im just saying its a crappy attitude, and maybe one of these days, youll see the err of your ways.

As for your questions, I can easily answer by saying that I dont wish to espouse MY personal standards on anyone else, and I dont care what others shoot as long as its legal and makes them happy.