Button Bucks

BigMike

Tonight I had 4 does and a btn buck come by my stand. Its amazing how perception of a deer changes when there are other deer around. 3 young ones looked so small next to the big old does and they even had lighter hide. That would be a lot harder to judge this if they didn't walk by all togther. No matter how how I was staring I couldn't make any of them grow antlers :fie:

She presented herself today, just at 60 yards lol.

Same for me.. just 2 shooters chasing about 4 big slobby does.....all at 70ish yrds..... u know since we had to go back and forth about this and that we are similar in what we will and wont shoot, we will prob only get bb's in range now. Lol

Edited by TreeGuy

Using the excuse of shooting any deer for meat is ridiculous. The prices of licenses and tages nowadays doesnt make hunting a cheap sport. So take the money you spend on all your hunting gear and licenses and go to the grocery store if you need meat that bad. Nobody has to feed thier family jsut from a seasons worth of deer hunting. On average the price for processing is$ 60.00+. Shooting a BB is personal choice, shooting a 4pt or 6pt is personal but dont complain that you've been hunting for 30yrs and never killed an 8pt or bigger. Even on small pieces of private property some management can be done, talk to your neighbor maybe you can even implement a 6pt rule. NY has the potential for bigger deer its the hunters that dont allow it to happen.

• Like 2

Using the excuse of shooting any deer for meat is ridiculous. The prices of licenses and tages nowadays doesnt make hunting a cheap sport. So take the money you spend on all your hunting gear and licenses and go to the grocery store if you need meat that bad. Nobody has to feed thier family jsut from a seasons worth of deer hunting. On average the price for processing is$ 60.00+. Shooting a BB is personal choice, shooting a 4pt or 6pt is personal but dont complain that you've been hunting for 30yrs and never killed an 8pt or bigger. Even on small pieces of private property some management can be done, talk to your neighbor maybe you can even implement a 6pt rule. NY has the potential for bigger deer its the hunters that dont allow it to happen.

not your business what someone shoots as long as its legal! its not your business what people spend there money on!

not your business how someone feeds their family as long as its legal!

well, not everyone has the luxury of the 60 bucks plus it takes to process. As far as feeding family, it helps a whole hell of alot. If some one can shoot a few deer, it does help tremendously.

What if I really like deer, and can't buy it from anywhere, I hear it's illegal to buy/sell?

Same for me.. just 2 shooters chasing about 4 big slobby does.....all at 70ish yrds..... u know since we had to go back and forth about this and that we are similar in what we will and wont shoot, we will prob only get bb's in range now. Lol

LMAO, thats exactly the way will happen. BTW, it was good to have a solid back and forth with someone that didnt get offended and start calling me names. Thats the kind of discussion I enjoy. Good stuff!

• Like 2

LMAO, thats exactly the way will happen. BTW, it was good to have a solid back and forth with someone that didnt get offended and start calling me names. Thats the kind of discussion I enjoy. Good stuff!

Well, i didnt exactly not call u names, i just chose to do it verbally not type it out, jerk. ;)

Lets all be honest with ourselves for a minute. People might get on here and claim that they are "meat" hunters and others claim they are "trophy" hunters but we are all far from as noble as we claim to be. This is 2012 we don't hunt to sustain ourselves we do it for fun. By the time you pay for a license and equipment and time in the woods that deer meat becomes very expensive. Its true that you can't buy vension here but people give deer away like crazy. Go to any apple farm and the farmer will be happy to give a deer that the workers kill. Its like antler restirctions. I love them but its nothing to do with the health of the herd, I just want more big antlered deer. You have seen my posts on the harvest thread I shot two older does but it required time and a few passed shots. I've passed on some small bucks too but if I happen to shoot one its just because I'm tired of hunting. I'm humble enough to admit the truth why don't the rest of you do the same and these arguments might not be so heated. If you shot a young deer be honest and say I got excited to see something so I shot it or say I wasn't seeing anything else I figured its better than nothing. Don't lie and say I'm a "meat" hunter just like I wont sit here and claim that I only shoot old deer because I care about genetics etc.... We all have our reasons to do what we do and no one is wrong as they are being legal and ethical its just a matter of how passionate you are. Not everyone thinks hunting as anything more than a couple of cold days a year were as others live and breathe it year round. Both are fine I could go forever and tell you my whole hunting history if you wanted but I got to drop my son off and get some small game in before I'm a tree tonight. To all you "meat" and "trophy" hunters good luck, safe hunting, and god bless!!!

• Like 1

Lets all be honest with ourselves for a minute. People might get on here and claim that they are "meat" hunters and others claim they are "trophy" hunters but we are all far from as noble as we claim to be. This is 2012 we don't hunt to sustain ourselves we do it for fun. By the time you pay for a license and equipment and time in the woods that deer meat becomes very expensive. Its true that you can't buy vension here but people give deer away like crazy. Go to any apple farm and the farmer will be happy to give a deer that the workers kill. Its like antler restirctions. I love them but its nothing to do with the health of the herd, I just want more big antlered deer. You have seen my posts on the harvest thread I shot two older does but it required time and a few passed shots. I've passed on some small bucks too but if I happen to shoot one its just because I'm tired of hunting. I'm humble enough to admit the truth why don't the rest of you do the same and these arguments might not be so heated. If you shot a young deer be honest and say I got excited to see something so I shot it or say I wasn't seeing anything else I figured its better than nothing. Don't lie and say I'm a "meat" hunter just like I wont sit here and claim that I only shoot old deer because I care about genetics etc.... We all have our reasons to do what we do and no one is wrong as they are being legal and ethical its just a matter of how passionate you are. Not everyone thinks hunting as anything more than a couple of cold days a year were as others live and breathe it year round. Both are fine I could go forever and tell you my whole hunting history if you wanted but I got to drop my son off and get some small game in before I'm a tree tonight. To all you "meat" and "trophy" hunters good luck, safe hunting, and god bless!!!

Oh my gosh ..... an honest hunter. I wonder what kinds of wrath and flame these words will bring .... lol.

Just a point of clarification. Hunting doesn't HAVE to be expensive but we certainly make it that way. A person near me could take 5 deer for a licence investment of $39 bucks. If they hunt near home travel is not expensive ( I actually hint by walking out of my house here). So let'ssay there is 30# of usable meat on each of the deer. that is 150# of meat for pretty nominal investment. Although it cuold be 0# for the same investment...lol. We make it expensive. fancy and new gear and gadgets. leases. camps. the list goes on and on. I do know 2 hunters personally that hunt in jeans, work boots and an old hand me down red and black Wool jacket. One carries and old pump that I would have to thinnk twice about shooting (no...that is BS, I wouldn't shoot it). The other uses a single shot with no vented rib and a brass bead. I bet there are more than a few that can make due in the woods without spending a lot of money to take some deer.

Oh yea well I am a meat hunter but will only shoot older doe's, does that make me a trophy meat hunter?

Why did it become a bad thing to hunt for meat? No one said you have to be a meat hunter and live exclusivley off of one kind of meat either.

And by the way I consider myself a hunter, no other descriptive words needed.

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 2

Just a point of clarification. Hunting doesn't HAVE to be expensive but we certainly make it that way. A person near me could take 5 deer for a licence investment of $39 bucks. If they hunt near home travel is not expensive ( I actually hint by walking out of my house here). So let'ssay there is 30# of usable meat on each of the deer. that is 150# of meat for pretty nominal investment. Although it cuold be 0# for the same investment...lol. We make it expensive. fancy and new gear and gadgets. leases. camps. the list goes on and on. I do know 2 hunters personally that hunt in jeans, work boots and an old hand me down red and black Wool jacket. One carries and old pump that I would have to thinnk twice about shooting (no...that is BS, I wouldn't shoot it). The other uses a single shot with no vented rib and a brass bead. I bet there are more than a few that can make due in the woods without spending a lot of money to take some deer.

you are certainly right. the most expensive part of hunting is usually the firearm and a lot of us have hand-me-downs or at the least an 870 can be had used for $200. If you have the ability to butcher yourself than you save money there too, but there's a nice investment on your part to do that, but include the pork and packaging materials. a case of cheap shells and you're in the woods.

wish there was a "good will" for hunting gear. I'd love to pass on my no longer used or gear that is too small to some kids who are looking at getting into hunting but their parents aren't or cant afford it. Between myself, dad and uncles we could probably outfit 20 kids haha.