Rather large red-squirrel??

Got this one June 27th of this year. Used my 870 20-gauge. I thought it was a bit on the big side for a red... what do you think?? The outer sole of my boot measures 13-inches exactly, and had I lined my boot up better, you can see how close the two actually are in size. Most of the reds around here are just a tiny bit bigger than the chipmunks.

post-2740-0-51488300-1351546471_thumb.jp

I don't know about your area but i saw some up in the Aderandacks last week that were about that size.I thought they were greys at first.Curious little critters.Had them coming withing 5 feet of me and keep running around the tree then come back and just stare and chirp at me.Had to throw sticks at one to shut him up.He still came back.Gotta take my boy up there with the pellet gun.

And is not June 27th out of squirrel season??

You get to take red squirrel year round; classed as an invasive species.

Just need a small game tag.

"The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow or firearm."

You are only supposed to take them if they are a nuisance animal or causing damage.......they are classed like rats or mice.

http://www.dec.ny.go...mals/81531.html

Actually, they're not protected at all, and can be shot anytime. They are considered to be a pest. It is completely legal, without restriction, to take them. I asked a friend of mine who works for the DEC.

Shame on you for laying that fine rifle on stone. Gonna have one of them in a deer cal some day. NICE!

HA!.....I get grief for that on another forum too. Squirrels on a rock;

IMG_2589.jpg

I have a 6.5x55 on order, wasn't happy with the wood on one that came, waiting on new import batch for better selection.

do you think thats a young fox squirrel?

That's not a bad call ,Paula, considering the size and the salt/pepper coloring on the tail..

However, due to the shape of the head and the light coloring on the belly, I think it is a big red (pine) squirrel..

Any fox squirrels that I have seen have a rusty color on the belly.

That's not a bad call ,Paula, considering the size and the salt/pepper coloring on the tail..

However, due to the shape of the head and the light coloring on the belly, I think it is a big red (pine) squirrel..

Any fox squirrels that I have seen have a rusty color on the belly.

after Phade said that i looked it up. i was surprised at the colors. i do think i see a difference in the heads

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the feedback, and sorry for the slow response. I don't have too much free time to get on here. I shot it out of very dense pine forest, so I would believe it's a red. I was unaware of chipmunks being legal to shoot. I've got tons of those things all over my strawberry patch and the gardens. They are a pain. I guess now, I'll be getting some practice with the .22! I'd use the AK, but the lawn's rough enough :P