BP pistols

20ftupatree

I have been looking at black powder pistols. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one. I'm thinking mainly to carry with me during season, not to actually "hunt" with. Here is my other question. Last bow season I had taken a shot at a doe, the shot felt great, looked great but wasn't so great. I hit her high although she dropped like a ton of bricks right where she stood when I got down from the tree she started  to blat and tried standing. She was merely paralized. It took some building up courage to go hand to hand with the deer but I saw no other choice. I couldn't see standing over top of it and firing another arrow at while it was lying there on the ground, so after i weighed all my options I took out my knife and went rambo on the poor thing, cutting her neck while still perfectly alive. Maybe there was a more "humane" way of doing this but I didn't see it. Needless to say I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!!!! Things happen, unfortunately bad shots happen. Is it legal to carry a pistol for these circumstances and how do these black powder pistols perform, would anyone recommend a specific brand?

I was afraid someone was going to say that. I really didn't enjoy that at all!!!! To be honest it almost ended my hunting for the rest of bow season. Traumatic even. So aside from carrying it during bow I'm still interested in buying one, any suggestions and whats your experiences with them?

I don't own a BP pistol so I really can't help you there.  Getting back to your traumatic event, I am afraid that is just a part of hunting.  Even though modern bows are far from primitive weapons, the bowseason is supposed to be a primitive style hunting season, so the situation you experienced will sooner or later definitely come up.  One needs to understand that, I guess. 

I would guess that it has happened to just about every body that has bow hunted for a while. When it does happen you owe it to the deer to man up and finish it off one way or another. I prefer to just shoot them again with the bow as it is most times easier and safer for both you and the deer. I got to tell you I don't have to do it often but when I have I am 100%, maybe the pressure of wanting to get it done helps me I don't know.

And my appologies I also have zero input as far as BP pistols.

I have one I'm going to hunt with this year, if & when I already have one in the freezer.

It's a 45 cal caplock with a 11" barrel and I'm planning on a shot of 40 yards or less.

Anyone that can shoot a BP pistol with open sights farther, more power to them!!

They do have limitations!

Lot of different styles, brands, calibers and prices out there, even have them in DIY kits.

They're fun to shoot.

Want to have a real challenging hunting experience, try a flintlock pistol!

Becareful if you are thinking about a BP revolver, pretty sure you can't use those during the ML season.

Oh yeah, you'll need a pistol permit when you have the powder & ammo with the pistol.

Would have just shot it again with another arrow, Have had to do it before, and I suspect I will probably have to do it again in the future. It's not pleasant but it probably has happened to everyone some time or another. At least it was more merciful than nature would have been on it. If it had broken its back by being hit by a car and wondered off and the coyotes found it they wouldn't have minded starting to eat before it was dead. Don't get to upset about it, you finished the job and got some meat. If anything it will open your eye's that this hunting thing that we do no matter how we like to trivialize and argue about this tactic and that tactic and whether or not its ok to bait etc, ect. It's not really a game, its life and death, And how the deer meets its end is just as important as what weapon you use. Just try to practice as much as possible so you can make lung shots with your eyes closed, and think before you shoot, its better to let a deer walk if the shot is not right. Done that a lot of times to, it's frustrating to have nice deer so close and not have a good shot but thems the breaks. Better to let them walk if it doesn't feel right, the deer won't suffer and youll sleep better at night.

Although your question has been answered, here is what it says on the DEC Site.

It is unlawful to:

•  
  • Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.

• Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.

• Make, set or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html