Another good year

bowman54

Went out yesterday afternoon for only the 3rd time this year. Didn't go out the week before because of the high winds from Sandy. I knew it was going to be a good day, because as I was going to my stand in the winter wheat field there were seven turkeys and a deer. I was in my stand about 10 min when I saw one of the turkeys. They always say that where there are turkey the deer will be around. Sure enough about 5min after the turkey goes by here comes a doe about 40 yds out. About 5 min later a nice 6 point comes in from behind me looking for that doe. He walks right under my stand but instead of turning to his right (which would have put him broadside) he walks straight away, so not a good shot. He goes after her (but she is not interested). About 2 min later there is a little 4 point right undert my stand. He is to small so just let him pass. The six pointer is chasing the doe around about 80 yards to my right. Another doe and her button buck fawn show up about 30 yards out. Not more than 5min later a really nice buck comes from behind me, I turn and draw and as he walks behind me I get so nervous that my arrow falls off the rest. I guess we are never to old for buck fever! He goes right toward the doe but she runs off. The button buck stays right under me just eating away. I keep thinking that moma is going to come back for him. Sure enough about 10 min later the doe is back and the buck right behind her. She comes right toward me and looks up. She can't figure out what I am so after 2 or 3 minutes goes broad side about 20 yards. The buck is right behind her, I draw and let it fly. I hit him high in the sholder (the arrow was still in him). I hear him about 30 yards from my stand thrashing around and grunting. I know it was not my best shot so I stay in my stand till well after dark. Then I sneak out and am thinking I should wait till morning. Well hind sight being 20/20 I should have gone after him last night. I found him this morning right where I thought he would be, I think he was dead within 20 min of my hitting him. The good news is I found him the bad news is the coyotes got to his hind quarters. I think i can slavage some of it but should have gone in last night. I guess we live in learn, I was so afraid of pushing him that I waited to long. Still a very nice deer. My nicest so far with a bow.

post-707-0-92083000-1352072366_thumb.jpg

Edited by bowman54
  • Like 1

NICE BUCK!!! speaking of yotes as of 4:00 pm yesterday eve i took out a nice male... i was sitting in my homemade blind and he came trotting right out across the field looking around sniffing for mice in the grass ect he was headed twards me so i just let him come at about 85 yrds he stopped and looked around... 1 sec later he was dead laying on the grond and i was watching him thru my scope to make sure he was dead... i will see if i can post pics from my phone....