3J - total bust

the blur

Places to hunt are few and far between in Dutchess County these days. I grew up here, and hate what it has become. Years ago, hunting spots abounded. Today, they are pretty pathetic overall. It's pretty much hunting in "hole in the wall" spots, with children being heard, dogs, chainsaws, leaf blowers, traffic, and, quite frankly, people who moved up here, calling the cops everytime you shoot at something. I've hunted for over 32 years, and I just don't have the interest, and drive that I used to have for it. The days of old, where there weren't damned mcmansions all over the place, was a great time. Today, it sucks.

State land down here, is poorly managed by the DEC, and, for the most part, are dead zones. Taconic Hereford is a prime example. When was the last time the land was properly managed there?

Another thing that burns my ass about down here, is the fact that the DEC just let the grouse population die out. That would never happen in the Adirondacks! But, simply put, the DEC doesn't care one bit about hunting opportunities down here, and that's a fact.

I went out today and i didnt see a single deer today let alone a shooter. I got a few good ones passing through on the cam and a couple resident bucks that should be dandies next year. I usually see a good buck every year and i saw one decent one so far but that was when i pulled into the land and not on the stand. The land owner tells me how the deer populations were 15 years ago and before most of the houses came in, from what i understand...waaaay more does but the quality of bucks was just no there.

I've spent 3 days in 3J, to get nothing. Not seeing much sign, or any deer this year. They say it's due to lack of acorns.

You hunted 3 days and didnt see a thing. If that were 3 weeks you might have something to gripe about. They have deer farm hunting down in Texas, they will guarantee you a deer on a 3 day hunt....If thats too expensive they have deer hunting video games that you will surely see deer on..

You hunted 3 days and didnt see a thing. If that were 3 weeks you might have something to gripe about. They have deer farm hunting down in Texas, they will guarantee you a deer on a 3 day hunt....If thats too expensive they have deer hunting video games that you will surely see deer on..

They have that in NY State, and PA too. Do a simple google. I'm sure you can handle it.