Found a dead deer

Stretcher Guy

if you want the head and rack for a european skull mount,you can call dec for a found carcus tag for the head and rack.That way you aren;t leaving the woods with a head with out a tag on it.Otherwise you don't need to report it.The cyotes and other critters will do their work.

Those horns would make good rattling horns for ya.Take fine tooth saw and cut them off.The deer mice and porky pines will have them chewed up after a while.

It is about 70 miles from home so won't be able to get back anytime soon. But is a found tag needed to cut off the rack? Wanna do everything by the books.

If you wanted to keep the deer or rack after reporting it, a CO may require you to put any un-used tags you may have on it.

He/she could issue you a carcass tag for a found deer.... OR they may not issue you anything and confiscate the deer if anything looks suspisious.

I pick up a lot of dead deer skulls post season while shed hunting and never had a problem. I doubt I'd be hauling any out of the woods while it's still season though. I'd be afraid just looking guilty of foul play would get me in unecessary trouble. Good chance he'll still be there post season. Critters will have him cleaned up real nice by then if you still want the skull.

Back in October I found a large 8-pt while out scouting one afternoon. I contacted the Region 8 office several days later and talked to an ECO for 10 minutes on the phone. He told me thad their job is to regulate the "deer on the hoof" (what's in the freezer), not the antlers. He said this subject has a lot of gray areas but it's best to call them in a situation like this. In a nutshell, he said that it would be up to the investigating officer's disgretion. At the end of the conversation he went on to say that this deer sounded like a car kill so it would be OK to go ahead and remove the antlers. I told him that I already had and he responded by saying to contact them first in the future. Honestly, after talking to him I was more confused about this matter than I was before???

I emailed another Region 8 ECO and here is the reponse that I got : "Hello Jason, there are no regulations that prohibit the removal of antlers from a dead deer provided the deer was not illegally killed."

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

Its on Long Island so no yotes or porky pines. It is about 70 miles from home so won't be able to get back anytime soon. But is a found tag needed to cut off the rack? Wanna do everything by the books.

was a little surprised to see it still there and that explains it. I'd just cap it and leave it be.