Take a friend hunting

Localqdm

This is a grey area for me too, and I've asked different ECOs and had different answers. I have a few friends that are interested in what I do and might like to walk with me a few times to see if it's something they want to get into or not before they take classes, buy equipment (which isn't cheap) or purchase licenses. They'd be 100% NOT assisting in any way in the hunt, only observing. I've been told that it's illegal simpley because they are they are accompanying me from one ECO, and have been told it's okay as long as they are not assisting by another. I'd love to hear if there is actually anything writted about someone accompanying but strictly observing only.

yes you can bring some one in the woods with you to watch you hunt they can not Handel any firearms or hold any ammo they can push deer if they want to as long as there 18 or older

if your get harest by a ECO report him to his supersas. I know guys taht bring there kids or friends with them and the e.c.os never hares them

papabear

I would think if they push deer, they are hunting. Got 2 ECO's that say this is a gray area. It could go either way. Think anytime the laws are in question, it becomes a gray area. I believe, that things like this, are left out for a reason. Make your own concussions. It would be so easy to nail it down.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

you can bring a friend, but cannot assist in the hunt. unless licensed ofcourse.

they can help push deer I was with two brothers who wanted to know what it was like to hunt so before getting there license they came with us one year and they pushed deer as long as there not holding a gun or ammo they can help you ether pushing deer or even videoing your hunt I even let one of the brothers help in gutting a deer they just can not hold a gun

Papabear

they can help push deer I was with two brothers who wanted to know what it was like to hunt so before getting there license they came with us one year and they pushed deer as long as there not holding a gun or ammo they can help you ether pushing deer or even videoing your hunt I even let one of the brothers help in gutting a deer they just can not hold a gun

Papabear

no. they cannot. if licensed, and tags filled, then yes, but un licensed, no. think you should read regulations.

read the first highlighted Q.

Accompanying

Q: Can I take my young child (or an unlicensed person) with me while I am deer hunting?

A: Yes, and we highly recommend it! Just make sure the child (or unlicensed person) is not hunting or assisting in any aspect of the hunt (like driving deer). Bring an extra pair of binoculars and plenty of snacks. Have a good time!

Q: Can my son or daughter hunt small game while I hunt deer?

A: Yes, but your son or daughter must have a Junior Hunting license and cannot actively participate in the big game hunt (including driving deer).

Q: Can I participate in someone else's hunt after I have filled all of my deer tags?

A: Yes. A licensed hunter who has filled his or her tags may continue to participate in the hunt, including driving of deer, but may not attempt to shoot a deer.

Edited by tughillhunter
  • Like 1

Frequently Asked Questions About Hunting

Below are answers to a number of questions frequently asked by New York hunters. Use the links in the right margin to jump to specific topics.

Accompanying

Q: Can I take my young child (or an unlicensed person) with me while I am deer hunting?

A: Yes, and we highly recommend it! Just make sure the child (or unlicensed person) is not hunting or assisting in any aspect of the hunt (like driving deer). Bring an extra pair of binoculars and plenty of snacks. Have a good time!

Q: Can my son or daughter hunt small game while I hunt deer?

A: Yes, but your son or daughter must have a Junior Hunting license and cannot actively participate in the big game hunt (including driving deer).

Q: Can I participate in someone else's hunt after I have filled all of my deer tags?

A: Yes. A licensed hunter who has filled his or her tags may continue to participate in the hunt, including driving of deer, but may not attempt to shoot a deer.

I would think someone sitting alongside you (watching/video taping/ staying quiet) during a hunt is okay according to the rules, but anything else would not be.

Here is the text from the DEC' site http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/1213guidegen.pdf

To hunt—means to pursue, shoot, kill or

capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes

all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife

whether or not they result in taking. Hunting

also includes all acts to assist another person

in taking wildlife.

yes you can bring some one in the woods with you to watch you hunt they can not Handel any firearms or hold any ammo they can push deer if they want to as long as there 18 or older

if your get harest by a ECO report him to his supersas. I know guys taht bring there kids or friends with them and the e.c.os never hares them

papabear

that 18 year old thing doesn't make any sense. a 16 year old with s license can push...