Swaying Treestands

DTG3k

Get out!! I went out this morning and the same thing happened to me. I lasted about 40mins. and thinking about it, that was 40mins too long. I got down and moved to a ground blind under a small apple tree. When its real windy out, not only do you have to worry about your stand swaying all over the place but you also have to worry about stuff coming down from above you.

Tree or on the ground what's the difference, if u are afraid of falling trees get out of the woods, I rode my tree yesterday like good old bull rider, it's like going to amusement park and not paying for ride lol, I figure it like this what is the chance very very slim and if it happens must have been ment to be, only fear I have when its windy like that is seeing a shooter and missing, may be windy Sunday HOLD ON????????????

Edited by Marcygirl

I was out today in a spot on the proterty I have never been. It was a nice pine forest that looked like Sandy took it's toll on....well the wind kicked up and I heard noises from trees that I didn't think were possible. I figured, let me get out of there as soon as possible....well that was hard. It took me about 30 min to cover about 200yrds (trying to go fast) beacsue it was so thick. Not sure what the kind of brush it is called but it was about head high and had prickers all over it....and i was trying to be quiet...(that didn't happen) I got within about 40 yards of a deer when I got the good ole whitsle blown.....and i began to circle me...realy didn't care too much...just wanted to find the fastest way out of some of the thickest crap i have ever been in.....!

Trees fall around me all day everyday..... most of them are the trees im in...lol. part of the job. Always helps to inspect a tree before u hang your stand, look at the trees around ur stand for issues, and alive or dead-woodpecker holes are a clear give away to stay away. I would guess that the tree that fell on the stand had holes, looks like it was rotten towards the top.... good luck!

you're being a baby. as long as the tree isn't dead or dying and it's root system looks good (not on a slope) than you should be fine. I have many stands 25-35 up and they all sway a little. It is freaky i'll give you that though. If it sways a lot in a light breeze it's probably not big enough to have a stand in.

In heavy winds, I like to walk around anyway. You could sneak right up on em and still have a shot. You really do have to be alert to all the trees in the area as you go. Like said before, theres no guarantees out there. I got a 7 pointer on Sunday mortning, 7:15 out of my stand. Wind was at least 15 miles an hour, not as bad as on Saturday, but still a steady breeze. He seemed to be disoriented, and teamed up with 2 does at the ridge. They were all nervous, and acting a little skiddish. I have a stand-alone 4 x 4, six feet up, with windows (for rifle only), but I can at least close the one window where the wind is just to heavy. At least, there's no swaying! Unfortunately, with Sandy blowing through, she went right over. The guys and I winched her right up, moved it over 2 ft, and secured her. We anchored it better than the last time, but I'm going to have to put some heavy eyelets on the base, use some turnbuckles to anchor it to the ground. I thought we had it secure the first time. Hardly any damage to it, just a slight bent roof, which we fixed right up. I've been hunting for 44 years and never built a stand till this year. Paint job has something to be desired. Don't know why I thought I had birch trees around. (first sign of getting old and losing it!!) Will repaint next spring, but it worked this year. C'est la vie.post-1579-0-70167900-1353948145_thumb.jppost-1579-0-91699100-1353949016_thumb.jp

a couple of summers ago I was walking the wooded trails...mind you no wind!I hear a crack behind me and knew enough not to even look...I jumped up against another maple next to trail the tree top snapped off and landed so fast I barely had time to pull in my arm...the left. side of me got scratched up pretty good as the branches slid past.....scared the crap and I thanked my lucky stars...you just never know....

Where I bowhunt, my tent has been pummeled by trees many times. I thank god I wasn't in it, and I look around to place it in a "secure" spot, but there's no assurances when it comes to wind. Even when I hunted in my ladder stand, the pine tree I was in would move ever so slightly most of the time, but every now and then, a heavy gust would come through, sway back and forth, and I'd say to myself, "OKAY!! That's it for today!!!"

How the heck can you pull off a decent shot when you are hanging on for dear life. It's pretty ugly when you have to lead the deer a bit because you and the bow are flailing around in the wind .... lol.

On the other hand, I don't know how it's been where the rest of you have been hunting, but my impression of this year is that it has been one of the calmest in memory. Yes there have been a couple days where the wind was out of control, but in general, most of the days have been either dead still or just a gentle breeze. You don't usually see that this time of the year.