Need help deciding on a new 30.06 and 12Ga

Tony7781

Hey guys, Im new to this forum and was hoping some of you can help me out here. My timing sucks but I finally just got my rifle license and need to get a new 30.06 and 12 Ga for next season. As for the 30.06 I am looking at the Browning X-bolt or the Winchester model 70. My dad has the Model 70 and I like it but it kicks like a mule. I think the newer ones have a decellerator pad that will help with that though. Both seem similar but I am leaning more towards the Winchester. Does anyone have opinions or experiences they can share? As for the 12 Ga Im looking at the browning BPS or the Ithaca Model 37. These seem very similar other than the BPS being a little heavier which will possibly help with recoil. I am leaning more towards the Ithaca on this one. For the rifle I mainly hunt deer and the 12 Ga will be for deer, turkey and pheasant. Also, what size barrel for the 12 Ga should I go with? i was thinking 26 or 28 inch and thinking of buying the rifled barrel for deer hunting. Any opinons or advise you can share would be greatly appreciated! thank you all in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

I shoot an older Remington 710 30-06 bolt. It shoots straight and far and is dead on accurate. I took 5 deer between 50-200 yards in the last 4 years . It is no longer made but Remington does make the 770 in 30-06 and a bolt. It is the same gun as the 710. In fact just ordered a new stock for my 710 and I was told by Remington that the 770 is identical.

As far as a 12ga, I shoot a Mossberg 535 pump with interchangeable barrels. It's fairly inexpensive (at Dicks) and is also accurate. Shoots 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 inch shells. Took several turkeys with it as well. Kicks like a mule on the 3 1/2" shells. You can go more expensive like Baretta or Benelli with woodstock etc, but I'm happy with $300 Mossberg. It serves the same purpose as the others and I don't have to worry about damaging the wood finish.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Thanks for the response. Ill take a look at the Remington. I tend to like the wood stocks more than synthetic. Although synthetic is probably better for hunting b/c its lighter and like you said you dont have to worry about chipping or cracking the wood. I have just always grown upo with wood stocks, I just cant do a synthetic...lol What size barrel do you use on your shotgun for turkey? I have been reading people use crazy short ones with the logic that its quicker to get up and the patterning will not change with a longer barrel. I cant see this being totally accurate though?

The Mossberg has a 22" Turkey and 28" field/waterfowl barrel. Here is the link for Dicks. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=12270521&ab=ACLN2_Link_Shotguns_TurkeyWaterfowl

I use the 22" barrel and have never used the 28" yet. I may try it this coming spring which is only 5 months away.

When I hunt I do so to get food, not to show off my firearm. I would love a nice Baretta but it would be sitting locked up in my safe most of the time and rarely see the light of day. I dont see it as a practical use gun.

If you don't like the kick of the 30-06, why do you feel you need to get one? Why not a smaller caliber that doesn't kick as much. Yes, a different rifle may reduce the kick a little but just a little. Not a whole lot.

Well to be honest, the last time I shot the 30.06 I was 16. Now Im 31 so I think I can handle it, it just left that long lasting impression on me..lol

Winchester Model 70 is arguablely the best rifle out there. Get one of the newer ones with the new adjuastable trigger and they went back to old style bolt like the pre 64's unlike the frail bolts of a remington 700.

Either a mossberg or remington pump are great because of how adaptable of a gun they are. I prefer the mossberg because I use a regular stock and like the safety location

My 12 gauge is a Mossberg 500 which I moded up. It was originally a combo (28 inch field barrel and 18.5 inch defense barrel). As I did more research and realized the extra length only granted an insignificant increase in accuracy, I went out and bought a 20 inch field barrel. The extra length is only suppose to help provide better weight balancing when swinging through on the follow through. So much easier carrying a 20 inch barrel through the brush than a 28 inch. The 28 inch barrel now sits in the closet and will probably never see the day light again.

Winchester Model 70 is arguablely the best rifle out there. Get one of the newer ones with the new adjuastable trigger and they went back to old style bolt like the pre 64's unlike the frail bolts of a remington 700.

Either a mossberg or remington pump are great because of how adaptable of a gun they are. I prefer the mossberg because I use a regular stock and like the safety location

Yea I think I am set on the Model 70. Thx

My 12 gauge is a Mossberg 500 which I moded up. It was originally a combo (28 inch field barrel and 18.5 inch defense barrel). As I did more research and realized the extra length only granted an insignificant increase in accuracy, I went out and bought a 20 inch field barrel. The extra length is only suppose to help provide better weight balancing when swinging through on the follow through. So much easier carrying a 20 inch barrel through the brush than a 28 inch. The 28 inch barrel now sits in the closet and will probably never see the day light again.

I was pretty much set on the Ithaca but the Mossbergs are getting alot of love here. Have you ever went pheasant hunting with the shorter barrels? I also have seen some of the shotguns with the pistol grip. What are your thoughts on those?

Yea I think I am set on the Model 70. Thx

I was pretty much set on the Ithaca but the Mossbergs are getting alot of love here. Have you ever went pheasant hunting with the shorter barrels? I also have seen some of the shotguns with the pistol grip. What are your thoughts on those?

I have ithaca that I used as a kid and now its my wifes guns and never had a problem with it. I use a mossberg-auto with a long barrel for pheasants because they are tough and fly slow but I prefer a shot open choke for grouse because they go down easy and they are fast as heck!

I've killed pheasants with a long barrel and I've killed em with short barrels. Choke is most important, my 870 is a short barrel/iron sights with a screw in choke and I like it because it swings fast. My o/u has a 26 inch barrel and also swings fast go figure lol. My vote would be for what ever gun you can afford that offers a screw in choke and short barrel, that way you can use it for any kind of birds and deer all in one gun.

As far as rifle, I too am partial to wood stocks just cause they are so purty although I do own a couple of ugly guns as I refer to them as (synthetic stocks). I'm a Browning guy.

• Like 1

I have 12 ga mossbergs and brownings, main reason is the location of safety on top of tang. The browning bps is a better built gun having a double slide vs a single of the mossbergs, you'll pay for the quality of machined parts of browning vs stamped of mossberg. Both are good shooting guns and either will do what u want. it just comes down to what fits you and what you want to spend... as for the 30-06 winchester or remington are more expensive and savage makes a quality affordable gun.

I have the Ithaca model 37 12 ga and very disappointed. Had to take it to a local gun smith to replace the ejectors - after shooting had to remove barrel to eject spent shell. This gun never gets out. Also have 2 pump 30-06's - 1 model 760 and 1 7600 - both nice guns but if considering Rem go for the model 700 more accurate. Have it in .270 and love it. One mans opinion.

Thanks a lot guys. This is all great information. I have always thought a longer barrel on the shotgun was best for accuracy. I think I have to go back to the drawing board on the 12 ga now! I am set on the winchester too now

Sent from my carrier pigeons

I have the Ithaca model 37 12 ga and very disappointed. Had to take it to a local gun smith to replace the ejectors - after shooting had to remove barrel to eject spent shell. This gun never gets out. Also have 2 pump 30-06's - 1 model 760 and 1 7600 - both nice guns but if considering Rem go for the model 700 more accurate. Have it in .270 and love it. One mans opinion.

Hey Tio is your Ithaca the newer Ohio made ones or the older pre-bankruptcy version?

Sent from my carrier pigeons

hard to beat a Remington 1187 with rifled barrel.

Mine has killed 20+ deer in about 15 seasons.

DEADLY! with Lightfield Hybred Sabots.

I call it "point and click" hunting with my 1187, I cannot remember the last time I missed a deer with it!

I have a Rem. 700 in 30-06 that I have taken quite a few deer with. It's smooth and accurate. I use to own a model 70 and that was a damn good rifle too so I would say what ever feels the best when you shoulder it.

Do they even make Ithaca's anymore??