Push To Include Big Bore Airguns For Big Game In New York?

13BVET

Actually, yes. While I don't know just how many people are pushing for this, I do know that at least one member of the NYSCC is pushing for it. In highly populated suburban areas, at least in my opinion, this could be ideal. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Well big bore airguns are load and powerful, whats the difference between them and using a regular gun? I was shooting my friends pellet gun the other day and it was louder then my 22 w/ sub-sonics and probably equally as devastating.

I agree 100%. The airguns of today are powerful as hell.

Limit the power to be under a certain FPE like in Europe and also qualify only quiet airguns to be allowed in urban areas. Of course this would only work if the 500' rule was reduced to allow for them. They certainly carry less danger than a bow at closer ranges.

A stick can kill a deer if shoved in the right area!!!! I think air gun might be a little light for big game. You can kill a deer with a .22 but they aren't legal for hunting them. Just an observation though.

Actually, the airguns of today are quite capable of taking deer. The custom made ones are extremely powerful. Even some of the stock .45's, and .50's are quite capable.

The 22LR is actually an inferior round compared to some of the larger bore airguns.

I wouldn't use a 22 even if it was legal either.

Neither would I. The big bores push much more foot pounds. Missouri hasn't had any issues with their use of big bores for deer. In fact, they've been very effective at harvesting deer.

I'm pretty sure airguns are not considered a firearm in NYS. Also you are not allowed to use a .22 for a coup de grace on a down big game animal in NYS. Some convicted of "serious" misdemenors cannot possess rifles and shotguns in NYS but can get pistol permits.

Actually, the airguns of today are quite capable of taking deer. The custom made ones are extremely powerful. Even some of the stock .45's, and .50's are quite capable.

yep, even lewis & clark had one on thier famous trip across the country...............................take a look at quackenbush airguns...............people have taken buffalo with some of thier airguns...............

I'm pretty sure airguns are not considered a firearm in NYS. Also you are not allowed to use a .22 for a coup de grace on a down big game animal in NYS. Some convicted of "serious" misdemenors cannot possess rifles and shotguns in NYS but can get pistol permits.

You are mistaking 22 caliber with 22 rimfire. A 223 and 222 are both 22 caliber bullets legal for hunting.

ShaunHu you said something about air-rifles being less dangerous in a urban environment, admittedly I have a lack of experience with airguns and you seem to be the authority on such but from what I see they aren't that much different an actuall rifle in form of preformance. How do you figure that they are any more safe than a bow or less dangerous than a rifle?

Edited by Guns&ReligionCop

You are mistaking 22 caliber with 22 rimfire. A 223 and 222 are both 22 caliber bullets legal for hunting.

ShaunHu you said something about air-rifles being less dangerous in a urban environment, admittedly I have a lack of experience with airguns and you seem to be the authority on such but from what I see they aren't that much different an actuall rifle in form of preformance. How do you figure that they are any more safe than a bow or less dangerous than a rifle?

G&R Cop, not sure if it was you I corrected last time or not, but I'd appreciate the correct spelling of my name, it's really not that hard( its my SN).

I'm by far the "authority" on anything, just an enthusiast. Airguns are considered safer than a bow because they are not capable of cutting 2" holes in people should an accidental discharge to occur(with the exception of this airgun bow).

Airguns are less dangerous than rifles because their effective range is much shorter than that of powder burners.

I think it's safe to say that shooting accidents are generally not a result of one person intentionally shooting another, but rather careless handling of the weapon and not making sure of ones target and beyond. I believe an airgun helps with both these problems.

This is of course not a replacement to common sense, but unfortunately, some are incapable of such a thing and I'd feel safer if such person was using an airgun rather than rifle in the woods.

G&R Cop, not sure if it was you I corrected last time or not, but I'd appreciate the correct spelling of my name, it's really not that hard( its my SN).

I'm by far the "authority" on anything, just an enthusiast. Airguns are considered safer than a bow because they are not capable of cutting 2" holes in people should an accidental discharge to occur(with the exception of this airgun bow).

Airguns are less dangerous than rifles because their effective range is much shorter than that of powder burners.

I think it's safe to say that shooting accidents are generally not a result of one person intentionally shooting another, but rather careless handling of the weapon and not making sure of ones target and beyond. I believe an airgun helps with both these problems.

This is of course not a replacement to common sense, but unfortunately, some are incapable of such a thing and I'd feel safer if such person was using an airgun rather than rifle in the woods.

So range/power basically is the difference. I can see that being an advantage over guns but bows not sure. I'm pretty sure a 45 cal bullet out of an airgun would make a 2 inch exit hole if not larger and still have a far great range then a arrow. Plus an arrow isn't a weapon ready to fire so accidental discharges are unlikely with a bow. Also the richett factor with a bow is very slim. I don't see a problem with airguns but I don't see them as any safer than a bow excpet for accuracy but then again accuracy is based on the operator.

So range/power basically is the difference. I can see that being an advantage over guns but bows not sure. I'm pretty sure a 45 cal bullet out of an airgun would make a 2 inch exit hole if not larger and still have a far great range then a arrow. Plus an arrow isn't a weapon ready to fire so accidental discharges are unlikely with a bow. Also the richett factor with a bow is very slim. I don't see a problem with airguns but I don't see them as any safer than a bow excpet for accuracy but then again accuracy is based on the operator.

Very rarely, do airgun pellets expand, so no, there will not be a 2 inch any hole.

Secondly, if a pellet were to hit someone by accident, probably will be in excess of 300 yards away. By that time, the pellet will not be lethal, but an arrow at any yardage is.

In regards to ricochet, arrows and pellets both ricochet, so I don't see it being any less safe.