Long Island Shotgun season...

JimmyDaSavage

put miles on your feet....

And i would say the opposite. If i were hunting Rocky Point or Otis Pike i would just stay put and wait for all the other guys to push deer to me. I have hunted out there a few times during shotgun and that strategy has worked for me even though i have never shot one b/c they were all small bucks. With so many people moving around if you sit from morning until dark in the same spot you are almost guaranteed to see some deer. If you are hunting Sarnoff i would say walk b/c there is so much land that it doesn't pay to sit still all day. Good luck guys i was going to go out on Martin Luther King day but i decided not to since i shot one on the last day of bow. Cant wait to see some pics and try to check to make sure that its not a shed buck you are shooting at. My friend took one the other day with the bow and it turned out to be a 1/ 1/2 yr old shed buck.

John

And i would say the opposite. If i were hunting Rocky Point or Otis Pike i would just stay put and wait for all the other guys to push deer to me. I have hunted out there a few times during shotgun and that strategy has worked for me even though i have never shot one b/c they were all small bucks. With so many people moving around if you sit from morning until dark in the same spot you are almost guaranteed to see some deer. If you are hunting Sarnoff i would say walk b/c there is so much land that it doesn't pay to sit still all day. Good luck guys i was going to go out on Martin Luther King day but i decided not to since i shot one on the last day of bow. Cant wait to see some pics and try to check to make sure that its not a shed buck you are shooting at. My friend took one the other day with the bow and it turned out to be a 1/ 1/2 yr old shed buck.

John

Yea this is what I'm told. Sit tight and let the other guys do the work. We are at Otis site 9 and 10. It's a pretty big piece though may have to do some walking?

Its not that big of a piece and there are a lot of spots on that square block for other hunters. Some good bucks in that area good luck!!!! Be sure to post your results.

John

We have peopl going out. Will post if we get lucky. Brother hunted it last week and saw some doe and some real nice rubs. Good luck to you also.

Did not see anything at Hither Hills in Montauk today. My brother saw a deer late but it was running. The state land property was like a war zone. Tons of shots. Figured a lot of deer had to be taken. When I got back only 2 were reported. a 31 lb yearling and a 1.7 year old shed buck 83 lbs. Lots of deer still around I guess. Going back out with my dad tomorrow and will see what happens. Good luck all!

I passed by the rocky point land on my way home from work. as i drove past, i noticed a deer strapped to a carrier on the back of a truck in the parking lot. i turned around and pulled in to take a look. there were actually two deer on the carrier. both very small, no antlers. the hunter was on his way out of the woods carrying his treestand. i also saw a big deer dead on the side of the road on rt 25A about 200yds from the rocky point parking lot with it's head cut off.